Rent vs Buy in Abilene>Question Details

Kayla White, Other/Just Looking in Abilene, TX

We are a military family and we're not sure if it would be better to rent a house or to by one, which would be better for us?

Asked by Kayla White, Abilene, TX Tue May 24, 2011

Answers

4
Hi Kayla,
Rent. It's safe and you're not going to lose thousands of dollars if you have to relocate. Good Luck
Hi Kayla, I'm a realtor in Abilene and have 15 years experience in property management as well. The market here has stayed strong in sales in a median price range of $100,000 - $160,000, which buys alot of house in Abilene! With correct pricing, homes are on the market less than 60 days. Cost of renting a 3/2/2 home over 1500 square feet starts at $1100, depending on the location. So I would not hesitate to advice you to look into purchasing a home, as YOU will get the tax deductions instead of your landlord. If I can be of further assistance, please contact me.
Tammi Faught
Agent, Senter Realtors
3401 Curry Lane
Abilene, TX 79606
325-695-8000 office
325-280-0909 cell
tammi@senterrealtors.com
Kayla,

I have prepared a great analysis for this exact question. Click the link to learn more: http://mcedge.tv/16a5d9 Take a look and let me know your thoughts.

Good luck with your decision.

PS. I'm a VA lender if that helps.

Scott Butcher
Mortgage Banker
Maker Capital Group, LLC, an Ameripro Funding Co.
2003 N. Lamar
Austin, TX 78703
I would venture that it would depend on how long you anticipate some stability: Buying a house is Long Term Committment. If you anticipate staying there at least 2-3 years, go for. The reality is, your husband gets transfered to North Carolina and you stay behind to sell the house and move. Three months later, you haven't sold the house. If the houses are not appreciating, you are probably just as well off renting.