Rent vs Buy in Los Angeles>Question Details

Melody Wang, Other/Just Looking in Outside U.S.

Want the apartment renting information for one of my friend who is going to study in David Geffen School of Medicine for a year from the coming July.

Asked by Melody Wang, Outside U.S. Sat Jun 16, 2012

The school location is Le Conte Avenue, Reagan Medical Center. My friend would like to find a nearby apartment or guesthouse to rent for one year. It is better that he can rent a room like a local home stay so that he can blend in with the local culture. Could anyone can offer me some tips or options?

Answers

6
The best option for your friend is to consider the following:

Will he have money to pay for a room or an apartment?

If so, what is his budget?

L.A. is very different from most places and the prices you pay may not necessarily get you more or less. The best thing to do is visit the area, if you havent already and view a couple of units with a few realtors to get an idea. Renting a room can be somewhat claustophobic and noisy in LA as most places that do that type of business generally have very low-standards on the types of folks they will rent to and the quality of the units may be a little less desirable than your own place.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 19, 2012
Hi:

Firstly, congrats on getting into the school. Our son attends UCLA and found a nice apartment within walking distance of the school as well as the rest of the campus. All apartments, being older or newer are not cheap. We had (4) like minded roommates sharing a large 2 bedroom 2 full bath. The rent share was about & 725.00 including internet, water, and such. As of yesterday, June 16, 2012, I saw lots of apartment buildings looking for tenants Start looking and let managers know you are looking for the future.. Since Westwood can be party central, he building managers as well as other students know the party buildings and the party streets. Again congrats, as we are looking forward to our soon attending the same medical school.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jun 17, 2012
Thanks very much. Congratulations to your son also. So you mean your son has already found the ideal apartment sharing with other 3 roommates? It is better for my friend who can rent a single room in this area. But if it is not easy to find, he may accept sharing rooms. Can you assist my friend to find an apartment he is looking for? He is still in China now so can't go and search the local condition by himself. Thanks a lot.
Flag Sun Jun 17, 2012
If you give me a call/text (424) 302-8008 or email me at (taylor@topsocalrealtor.com), I can get you a list of apartment within a certain mile radius, or pick a few out by amenities.

Feel free to also check out

http://www.topsocalrealtor.com

For some FREE informative articles & reports for sellers.

Also http://www.taylorcresswell.com has properties that are currently available for sale.

Taylor Cresswell
Real Estate Agent
BRE# 01945015
(424) 302-8008
taylor@topsocalrealtor.com
Apartment Renting Information for Westwood:(U.C.L.A.)

Housing is scarce due to the College, look into "student housing" on the campus for affordable housing.
Consider other near by neighborhoods (less then 20 minute commutes) such as:

West Los Angeles Area, Culver City or Santa Monica.
No thanks, I don't want it.
Hi, Melanie. The school may offer a list of people willing to rent to students. That would be a great place to start.

As far as renting a room vs an apartment is probably a matter of preference for your friend. Will he be comfortable living with strangers? Is he more comfortable living alone? He needs to determine his budget and compare the cost of an apartment with renting a room.

All my best,
Dot Chance
Keller Williams
DRE #01494182
Thanks for your tips. I will further ask his preference and then give you feedback. ^_^
Flag Sun Jun 17, 2012