Rent vs Buy in Shreveport>Question Details

Jessica Temp…, Home Buyer in Sebastian, FL

My fiancee and I are hoping to move to Shreveport, LA from Sebastian,Fl in aboout 3 Months. As a young couple would it be wiser to rent first?

Asked by Jessica Temple, Sebastian, FL Wed Jul 10, 2013

Answers

5
Jayne Tappe’s answer
Hello Jessica,

Well, you've gotten different answers but I tend to agree with them all. There are a lot of factors that you must figure into your scenario so you can get the best results. Any of the Realtors below can do an awesome job for you. I, too, would love to help you. And still have even more questions for you. Is this a job transfer? Will you and/or your fiancee still be in the same line of work that you are in now so that there will be a smooth or little or know transitional difference in your income flow. As far renting first, I dont' think that is necessary if you are going to be here as David says for at least 2 to 3 years or so before your next move. Just work with a Realtor that is very attentive to your needs as a family. I would love to help you find that right home. I would be glad to be the Realtor you chose to work with. And I have put many couples moving from out of town into this area so I am very careful to make sure you have the vital information you need to make the right decisions in your move. I look forward to hearing back from you. You may contact me directly at 318-393-2276 or email me at jayne@forsalebyjayne.com
Definitely rent. Lot of great advice, but let’s not over think this.

Based on the information you provided in your question, the answer is definitely rent. Do not even consider buying first. Until you have some stability in a new place, you want to keep your options open as long as possible. When you first arrive, find an apartment or other rental, month to month, 6 month or year lease. Explore your options, check out the areas, you might decide you want to live somewhere else. It is a bummer to wake up and find out you bought in the wrong city.

As much as I like to sell properties, I would much rather have a client that knows I really care about them and their family. I don’t just sell houses.

You have not provided any information in your questions that would even suggest buying would be best. The last thing you want to do if there are a lot of moving parts in your life, is drop anchor, a bad decision.

Now that is settled, I need to share with you some insight about the rental market.

Real estate brokerage firms in our area do not work together in the rental market like they do in the property sales area. There is no one place to go to find a list of property for rent or find someone who is willing to spend time looking for a rental property for you. The rental applications are different, the leases are different, the processes are different.

Web sites like Trulia try to provide information, but the fact is their information is only as good as what is provided to them. Read that to mean incomplete at best.

Since I am a real estate professional in the business of helping clients buy and sell real estate I understand how important finding a home is to a family. This can be particularly frustrating for families who need to rent. Occasionally I am asked about local rentals. If I personally have a property for rent, and the renter is qualified, I will show them my rental. Otherwise I am generally not in a position to help them. As a professional, my inability to help was unacceptable to me so I asked my team to do research and develop a resource about local rentals that I could provide to those families for their use.

I will be glad to provide that local rental information to you free of charge. Go to http://www.Zip711.com and click the Rental tab.

I interview prospective buyers and sellers on a regular basis. I would be glad to speak with you about opportunities in our area.

Carolyn Grimsley, CRS, ABR
Certified Residential Specialist, Accredited Buyer’s Representative
Licensed by Louisiana Real Estate Commission

Realty Executives SB
In Bossier, 4012 Benton Rd suite 110
In Shreveport, 8575 Fern Avenue Suite 105
Each company independently owned and operated
http://www.Zip711.com
Web Reference: http://www.zip711.com
Depends on how long you plan to be in the area and your goals and wishes as a new couple. We're do you see yourself in the next 2, 5 years? These among other questions are things I would be more than happy to go over with you!

I am excited for your future move and hope to work with you soon!

P.S. If you currently own your home in Florida, I know great agents to refer you to in your area that could sale your home!

Kalli Cunningham
http://www.RealtorKalli.com
318-746-8000 Office
318-638-4133 Cell
Realty Executives, Shreveport-Bossier
Licensed in Louisiana
Each Office Independently Owned and Operated
If you plan to be in the area at least 2-3 years, buying is a much better choice. If you may leave sooner than that, renting may be wiser for you. Are you coming earlier than your move date, to get to know the area? If possible, I would like to meet you, to go over a plan to make the move as stress free as possible, find out your goals, lifestyle, and future goals. It's not usually as simple as "finding a house", it is finding a house that makes sense for your goals.

Contact me if you'd like to discuss the possibilities!

David Rollins
WWW. RollinsHomeTeam.com
Realty Executives SB
8575 Fern Ave., Suite 105
Shreveport, LA. 71105
Each Office Independently Owned & Operated

318-868-3600 Office
318-219-5229 Direct Line
318-426-1384 Cell
David@RollinsHomeTeam.com
Absolutely not, rentals are going up like the interest rates. I would highly recommend you buy soon as the rates will be in the upper 5% upon your arrival. I'm a relocation specialist and can assist you in your move.

Jenny Dawson
Realty executives
318-344-5355
Visit my site today to get started
http://www.sbcrelocation.com