Rent vs Buy in Dryden>Question Details

Megan Murray, Home Buyer in Freeville, NY

Looking for advice on home buying or renting a house

Asked by Megan Murray, Freeville, NY Sat Dec 22, 2012

My boyfriend and i are looking to find a place to live. He's in the National Guard and a recent Veteran while i'm a nanny. We have my younger brother as well who will be living with us, he is autistic. We both have dogs that happen to be Pitts and knowing how hard it is to find a place that allows pitts is difficult. We hope to buy a house some day but were not certain were ready knowing how large of a commitment it is. We would need to stay there at least 2 or 3 years because he may be deployed again in 2014. What do you think the best options for us are?

Answers

1
Keith Jean-Pierre’s answer
In your specific situation I would suggest renting as the logical option for you. Main factor is the duration of your stay. If you end up purchasing a home and then need to sell in 2 or 3 years, you are most likely going to take a loss on the property due to insufficent time to build equity. Once you factor in closing costs, the number could be rather substantial.

Also with pitbulls, many home insurance policies will not allow them to be on the premises as they are a high liability. In that respect, it also might be hard to find a landlord willing to accept tenants with such dogs. Best of luck in your situation and if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 23, 2012