Rent vs Buy in 33177>Question Details

Mrslewis.1st…, Renter in 33177

Hello, are there any legit rent to own programs in the state of Florida? Everyone I've tried has turned out to be a scam. Can someone help me?

Asked by Mrslewis.1stlady, 33177 Mon Jan 23, 2012

please?

Answers

9
Yes.

There are legit rent-to-own programs in Florida. And elsewhere.

Can you explain what you've run into--why they appear to be scams?

Let's clarify a few points first.

There really isn't a "rent-to-own" technique. There's a "lease-option" where you lease and have the option of purchasing. There's also a "lease-purchase" where you lease but have locked yourself into a purchase agreement. Then there are slightly different techniques (often in different parts of the country), such as a land contract, contract for deed, etc. And then there's always straight owner financing. Each of these works slightly differently.

Are they tricky/very tricky/very, very tricky? Not really. What makes it tricky are lawyers and real estate agents who don't understand the process and sometimes, unfortunately, muck it up. But there are plenty of protections you can build into a lease-option to make the process quite safe. (Not as safe as buying outright, but reasonably close.)

I'm not sure why Mott refers to rent-to-owns as scams, since he very correctly notes that lease-purchases and lease-options can be done properly. I'd just caution you--as I noted above--that rent-to-own really isn't describing a specific technique, whereas lease-options and lease-purchases are.

Are they rare/hard to find? No. It's true that many lease-options or lease-purchases aren't listed that way on the MLS. You need to know what to look for. And sometimes you (or your agent) have to put them together yourself. For techniques on how to find them, see a blog I wrote at http://bit.ly/findaleaseoption

OK. So what are some red flags to watch out for?

If you're dealing with an investor (who likely is doing what's called a "sandwich lease option"), don't pay money up front just for a listing of lease-option properties. There's plenty of money to be made by investors on legitimate sandwich lease-options. (Option fee, cash flow, final sale.) There's no need, no reason, to ask for money just for a listing. A legitimate investor wants to reach as wide a group of buyers as possible. Charging an up-front fee would just narrow that pool.

Though it's all negotiable, an option fee usually will be 1%-3% of the purchase price of the property. Be cautious is you're asked for more.

It's legitimate--even desirable--for the investor to check your credit. The goal at the end of the lease-option is for you to buy the property. That means you'll need a downpayment and you'll need acceptable credit (today that's a 620 score or better, generally). If your credit is too low and the time frame is too short, then you're just setting yourself up for failure.

Aim for a 2-4 year lease-option. No less than 2. Remember: It'll take time to clean up your credit and save up for your downpayment. That won't happen in 6 months or a year. So if someone suggests a 6-month lease-option, walk away.

Though it's all negotiable, aim for a reasonably generous rent credit. That's the amount of your rent that'll be credited toward the purchase price. Rough rule of thumb: 20%. More is better. Less, and you're not going to be helped much by the rent credit.

Make sure you're dealing with either: (1) the property owner, or (2) someone who has the authority to sell the property to you. In the case of a sandwich lease-option, the investor won't be the owner. But that's acceptable if the investor has the right to purchase the property (with an option of his own with the owner).

Lease-options often place more responsibility on the tenant-buyer for the property's maintenance and upkeep than if you were just a renter. That's OK. But understand precisely what your responsibilies include.

See a lawyer to build in protections in the option agreement. For example, what happens if, at the end of the option period, the house doesn't appraise for the agreed-upon sales price? There are a bunch of different ways to handle that, but you and the other party have to agree to a strategy up-front. Similarly, how do you make sure that the owner is making the mortgage payments? There are a number of different ways to make sure; a good lawyer will know them.

Again: If you provide information on what's led you to believe that you've been dealing with scams, I may be able to offer additional advice.

Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Fairfax, VA
Rent To Owns properties don't have to be tricky. As long as you have your attorney look over the paperwork you should be fine. You have to remember, if you are considering a rent to own it must be because you either don't have a full deposit for a bank loan or your credit isn't that great. If this is the case, then a rent to own property is a very great opportunity for you to get yourself onto the property ladder...

Go online and do a search and you will find numerous amounts of people who offer this service...however you need to do your dudilligence as like you have suggested, there are going to be people (as in any service industry) that will want to take you for a ride.

Good luck in the search...
Cheers,
Chris
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
The State of Florida is very BIG. The whole concept of "Rent-to-Own" is a scam of sorts. Talk about a Lease-Option or a Lease-Purchase and then there could possibly be some hope.

There is a huge difference between the 3 types of transactions. ALL of them- in order to effective, fair, binding and scam free require certain elements to work. Here are a few "elements" that in my opinion can make the deal scam-free and feasible;

• Ready, Willing and Able Parties
• Binding Contract(s)
Lease and Purchase Contracts
• Consideration
• Legal Representation

Naturally, depending on the particular deal- other "elements" may also be needed. Find ONE agent/broker and work with them to locate a property where such a transaction may work. Ask for an Exclusive Buyer Representation Agreement and be willing to compensate [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅)̲̅$̲̅] the broker/agent for their services.

※ WATERWAY REALTY, REALTORS® ※ MIAMI BEACH ※
✤ Join Us on #EAv @EmpireAvenue ♦ http://bit.ly/x1XRgj ♦
Miami Property Search ~ http://on.fb.me/ADLVGz ✤
Follow Us at http://fullyfollow.me/wtwy ✤
Web Reference: http://www.dBa22.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
Rent to own is very very tricky. I would contact local agents through the search above. They will be best able to help you with your needs.

Was this answer helpful? Give it a "thumbs up" if so!

The Marie Souza Team - Top Selling on Cape Cod
Cape Cod Real Estate Services
Phone: 508-790-2000
info@mariesouzateam.com
http://www.MarieSouzaTeam.com
http://www.facebook.com/CapeCodRealEstateServices
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 23, 2012
which are the legit rent to own programs in the state of florida
HAS ANYONE HEARD OF OWNERWIZ.COM? THEY SAY THAT THEY WILL PURCHASE THE HOME OF MY CHOICE OF THE INVESTOR AND THEN I WOULD RENT TO OWN IT AND AFTER MY CREDIT IS CLEANED UP I CAN FINANCE IT IN MY NAME...

THEY HAVE ANOTHER PROGRAM THAT IS 4.9% INTEREST AND LATER I CAN ASSUME THE LOAN.

CAN SOMEONE VERIFY WHETHER THIS IS LEGITIMATE BECAUSE IT'S PRETTY ATTRACTIVE

ZINKTHEMUSIC@AOL.COM
No wonder why ... this is NOT a market for that. In fact in the 32-years I've been practicing residential real estate I don't recall ever such a market. While I've done a handful myself for clients, the need for sellers/landlords to do this in Miami, Florida is so very miniscule and non-beneficial, that is does not serve either party in any beneficial way. It's either buy or rent, no in between. As the renter-buyer you will pay dearly for this priviledge and its largely misunderstood & misrepresented; as a landlord/seller its not a deal for many months or even a year+ to come. Sorry I couldn't give you better news however reality is reality. Regards, Steve E
The reason you are not getting anywhere is this is not done much recently. There is a lot to it- a valid lease contract, and valid purchase agreement, and more than that- it may not be a great idea for either the buyer OR the seller to lock in a price today that has to be held for a year or longer. At the same tme, a true option contract requires that yo make a deposit that you will forfeit if you do not complete the purchase . With interest rates below 4% and the wide availablity of FHA financing- BUY NOW. Call me I can help!

I would be happy to help you in this matter and give you more information on how Rent to Own works. My partner is very versed in this subject and I can have him talk to you and explain how it works. It is something we really dont recommend doing because of a few things we will explain to you. You can call me at 305-776-2203.

Elizabeth Moreira
Real Estate Sales Force