Siyer2006, Home Buyer in Cupertino, CA

would merging a small bedroom and living room into large master suite add value to the house?

Asked by Siyer2006, Cupertino, CA Sun Jul 1, 2012

we have just purchased a 4 bedroom home in SJ, CA.
However the master bedroom is very small - and so is the master bath - which just has a 3x3 shower. we are contemplating converting the living room and the adjacent bedroom into a large master suite.
that means we will still have a 4 bedroom home , but now we will be adding a bathroom - for a total of 2 attached baths (original master new master) and one common bath.
we still retain the large family room.

downsides.
no formal living room in the house
master bedroom will have its entrance - albeit a double door one - next to the foyer.

what do you think from a resale perspective?

Answers

7
It depends... I would not advise you to convert any public area into a bedroom especially if it breaks the flow of the house. I have seen beautiful master suites that can be entered only through the kitchen. What you propose seems to be better but still not optimal.

Bring an couple of architects to look at your house, talk to them about possible expansion and hire the one who's proposal you like the best. You will need a professional to help you maximize your return on investment.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 1, 2012
Hello Siyer, I'm a little confused as to how you are going to end up with 4 bedrooms when you say you have a 4 bedroom now and intend on using a bedroom and the living room to expand the master bedroom and add a bath. If you are taking away a bedroom and end up with 3 but a bigger master that would be acceptable. I recommend, you keep the living room and don't expand the master as much. In my opinion, you never want to end up with only 2 bedrooms, 3 is good, 4 is even better.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 1, 2012
I am planning to merge the living room with the 1st bedroom into a larger room and use that as a master bedroom. the 2nd, 3rd and 4th master bedroom will be retained. the family room is still retained and that is a large space. 25x15.
Flag Tue Jul 3, 2012
Yikes, not advisable. Losing common area like a living room in favor of a master bedroom and bath and sticking it at the front of the home would be deemed as unnecessary and unfavorable by buyer standards. Almost all buyers today want both the living room and family rooms in their new homes. Although a big master bedroom and master bath are desirable, I would put the amount of living space as far more important to most families.

To really maximize your home improvements, contact the agent who worked with you in purchasing this home and get their opinion regarding how best to renovate the home. In the alternative, talk to your architect or interior designer for assistance. Getting help from professionals will help you avoid costly and expensive errors in the future.

1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Jul 1, 2012
ok....I kind of like the way it sounds. A bit of a problem with the master directly of the entry. It's usually acceptable in smaller NY apts. I disagree with the posting that people want both a living and family room. In my opinion a formal living room is going by the wayside - finally, people are realizing that it's mostly unused sqft and opting for a "great room". Four beds, two with private baths? Fine. I agree with the other post regarding over improving. This is not a problem if you're in a neighborhood with all custom homes. However, if price to renovate supersedes value, I'd be cautious because you never know what your financial situation and needs will be in the future. On the other side of the coin....if you want it, can afford it, go for it.
from a resale perspective, the proposed changes hurt you as you end up with no living room. I would have an architect look at the home

good luck!
BUYER CASH REBATE 50%-60% / SELLER DISCOUNT 50%

Quality Full Service! Work directly with the Owner/Broker.
Flavio Tejada, Owner/Broker, Realtor, MBA-Finance
(415) 305-2958
If you are not upside down in your home and there are more expensive homes in the area.

The floor plan change makes sence. Be careful not to become overvalued for the neighborhood.
I agree with the other agents, they have given you sound advice. They get a thumbs up. You do NOT want to disrupt the flow of the home or put living quaters in an unusual location. Please take the advice of the others and get profesional help, you will be glad you did.
At your service,
Allyson
408-705-6578
allyson@homesbyallyson.com
CDPE