Remodel & Renovate in 94539>Question Details

WEAVER1029, Home Owner in Fremont, CA

what would the cost be to tear down a 1901 ranch farmhouse? it has a lot of woodwork that could be refinished and reused.

Asked by WEAVER1029, Fremont, CA Tue Jan 29, 2013

the basement is made of huge stones that could be used for landscaping. it also has a oil furnace as well as the tank, hot water tank and a water softer that all could be reused.

Answers

3
Carl Medford’s answer
Agree with the answers below ...

Make sure you talk to the City of Fremont Planning department FIRST ...

They will tell you what can or cannot be done. If they give the go ahead for demolition, then Google “Fremont CA demolition contractors” for quotes. This is a real estate forum and we are not in a position to give you estimates for projects like this.
This is a very interesting situation you have. There are a couple of questions that I think you need to address. The first question would be what would the City of Fremont require for permits and fees? The property could be considered a "Landmark Property of Historical Significance." Once you obtain this information, then there are housing dismantlers that can come in and give you an estimate for demolition. Since this is there area of expertise, they could also give you an estimate based on items that could be re-used, refinished and/or re-sold. I would suggest you get at least three (3) separate estimates.

The next question I would ask you, is what do you plan on doing with the property once the structure is demolished? If you are thinking of selling the "lot", you have the option of selling the property with the existing structure intact thereby leaving the responsibility of demolition to the Buyer.

I hope this information is of benefit to you. If you have any other questions, by all means let me know.
Dave Gravelle
Tearing the farmhouse is not a costly venture. The concern is whether or not the City's Historical Architectural Review Board will let you tear it down at all.

I would make sure that you run it by the Planning Department first to see if you can obtain a demolition permit prior to purchasing the property.

If the farmhouse is in shambles, and you aren't given clearance to demo the site, then I would look to HARB to see if the home can be moved or sold by the piece to collectors or demo companies that look to reuse the wood, door knobs and other features first so you could demolish the balance later on.

Again, the first question is whether or not they will allow you to demo the site at all - be sure to check on this first.