Remodel & Renovate in 32246>Question Details

Joydyi, Home Owner in 32246

we renovated our house add a bigger kitchen and ectar room at the back of our house. Property appraiser came, what will be the penalties?

Asked by Joydyi, 32246 Tue Oct 25, 2011

We renovated our house added 440 sq foot, a kitchen and a room. The property appraiser came, now what will be the penalty/fine we will be receiving? How much are we going to pay?

Answers

3
I have read the question and the previous answers and I guess there are some things missing from the question that would help us answer correctly.
If you did renovations that did not require a permit, the biggest "penalty" would be on your taxes. If you did the renovations without a permit and one or more was required, I have seen where they require you to pay for a permit (even though it is after the fact),and inspect to be sure the work has been done correctly. If the work is not completed within the rules and safely done, they can have you deconstruct after the fact. (no joke). I am not sure about what kind of fines may be involved, but again, I would think that the worst scenario would be the removal of the addition if done against the rules and regulations. I am not sure about a fine, I would suggest you contact the county building and permit offices http://(www.coj.net) and ask someone in the permitting office to be sure that you are receiving the correct information.
Good Day

If you are selling you may have over improved. If that is the situation then your lose would be the amount that you over improved. If it is just the city appraiser then the difference will reflect in your revised properety taxes. I live in your zip code. I would be happy to take a look and give you an idea what you may be looking at. Give me a call at 904-463-4264

Best Regards
Doug Casteel
Broker/Castle Realty
Im assuming you are worried because you did not have a permit to do the work? Best case scenario you pay a fine and have to have the work inspected and they pass it, worst case they make you tear it all down. You may want to contact the building department directy.