Rob, Home Seller in Seattle, WA

replacing a cooktop

Asked by Rob, Seattle, WA Fri Sep 16, 2011

My house has no gas, electric only. I am looking to replace my cooktop with a new one. We really want an induction cooktop but are afraid that potential homebuyers (when/if we sell) will be turned off by something non-conventional. Thoughts?

We are on top of Queen Anne. 4 Bed / 2.5 bath, $550k to $650k range (in current market)

Answers

8
Dan Tabit’s answer
Rob,
Queen Anne is a great market to be current or cutting edge. Where you plan to stay for a while, the question really is, what will the market be like when you are ready to sell? Personally, I'd say make the choice that you enjoy most and will keep you there the longest. Enjoy your kitchen and make it yours.
When you are ready to sell, you can always replace the cooktop for a modest amount or offer a credit if a buyer is concerned. My suggestion is go for it!
Rob,

Lots of people have a pot here or there with a copper bottom. They are not as popular right now as they once were, so if you asked me in 1985...I would be more concerned than in 2011 :)

Can you explain to me a little better why you want it, given it is not a common or majority choice? My guess is there are enough pros vs cons...which is why you want it...so that your agent can "sell it" as a plus vs a minus at the time you sell your home.

Some I can think of off the top of my head (though I don't know this type of appliance at all)

1) Greener Solution - uses less energy
2) A child or anyone for that matter is less likely to get burned on it
3) Fewer fire risks than an electric or gas cooktop
4) Less likely to but a plastic something on a hot service and have a melt down, if not a fire.

It likely has a lot of plus vs minuses. Get what you want...and make sure you are prepared to "disclose" the pros on your Seller Disclosure Statement. All too often a seller is told to put negative disclosures ONLY on what we call a "Form 17". In this case...spin it...disclose the unusual differences by noting the pros vs cons as an attachment to your Seller Disclosure Statement.

Most importantly...keep ALL material and manuals explaining it. You will likely want to make those available to potential buyers at time of sale. Having the REAL factual explanation from the manufacturer vs "seller said" will be VERY important at time of sale, both for your protection and the buyer's peace of mind.

I don't see it as much of a disadvantage over an electric cooktop. If you were converting a gas cooktop to induction, I would say no...don't do it. Lots of people who actually cook a lot prefer gas. But electric or induction? You can probably "sell" that difference.
Rob,

We recently refinished our hardwood floors in our 1928 bungalow. At first, I had the whole family take their shoes off at the door to keep our newly finished floors from being marred. My wife said that being overly protective of the floors made her and the fam feel like we were living in a museum & not a home. I eased off of the shoe thing & asked our flooring contractor what it would cost to do some touch-up refinishing if needed. He said the cost would be minimal. That set my mind at ease. So, what I'm trying to say is, do what you want & enjoy your home while you are living there. If/when you decide to sell your home, ask your Realtor if you should keep or replace the induction cooktop. If you replace it with a conventional cooktop, you can always sell the induction cooktop on Craigslist or Ebay & recoup some of your money.

Have a great weekend!!
Hi Rob
Ardell's answer is good advice. If you are staying, you should enjoy your appliances while you are there. I do think though, that glass, copper and aluminium is quite a limitation to buyers. In the end, you need to weigh how long you expect to stay versus the limitation of the appliance.
Also, the only limitation on pans for use with induction are that they are magnetic. The majority of pans in most kitchens are magnetic. The only pans which are not compatible are glass, aluminum, and copper. If that makes a difference in your answer, Ardell.
We aren't planning on selling right now. We plan on living in the house for the next few years and are keeping our options open when/if the market recovers.
I don't know a lot about them, but given they appear to require that the buyer of your home have only a certain type of cooking vessel " To be used on an induction cooker, a cooking vessel must be made of a ferromagnetic metal." I would recommend against it.

If you are planning to stay in your house, and sell it at some point in the future, then buy what you personally "really want". But you may have to include all the appropriate "cooking vessels" with the home. :)

If you are planning to sell it right now...then I have to ask why you "really want" that, if you are not going to be the one cooking on it?
Hi Rob
It is true that the kitchen is usually the most important room in a home as far as buyers are concerned and usually kitchen improvements result in a 98% to 100% return but I think your best option is to replace the cooktop so it is new, but with a traditional cooktop. Even considering your price range, the induction cooktop may appeal to some buyers but you want to appeal to the most buyers possible and a newer innovation may minimize that goal.
Wishing you the best.