Remodel & Renovate in 11416>Question Details

Nikita, Other/Just Looking in 11416

is it legal to convert my one family houser to a mother and daughter.?

Asked by Nikita, 11416 Wed Nov 3, 2010

i want to make my house a mother and daugther house

Answers

3
Before considering any renovations/conversions, do check with your local department of buildings for necessary permits and c/o's. See link--
http://www.nyc.gov/html/dob/html/reference/fema.shtml
Hi Nikita, Good question. Typically a mother daughter is an illegal 2 family. If you do not plan on renting and just want space really for your mother....you can go to the building department and get permits. Building department does not want illegal conversions for rentals in a 1 family zoning- they are fire hazzards and unless you have proper zoning you cannot get the 2 family status. If you go on the NYC.gov website look up planning and zoning maps- find your address and map-you will be able to determin wether you can convert legally to a 2 family..(with proper permits).yYou need a zoning of R3,R4 or higher. If you are zoned for R1 or R2 strickly 1 family zoning. Any questions Terry K 718-614-3167 cell or email me Therese.Korahais@elliman.com
Call your county planning and development office to find out what the rules are for multi-unit properties. In my area it depends on the county. They have certain areas designated for multi-units. If you are having two separate entrances to the building that is considered multi-unit here. For related living, you can have anyone
stay with you. You also can rent a room to someone other than family and not be considered a multi-unit as long as they do not have a separate entrance.
The specifics do vary locally. Check with your county office.

Christine