Remodel & Renovate in 20901>Question Details

Kyami Clarke, Home Owner in Silver Spring, MD

how much would it cost to add a 2nd floor 400 sq foot loft to an existing 920 sq ft house in silver spring, md?

Asked by Kyami Clarke, Silver Spring, MD Thu May 24, 2012

wold like to include bathroom

Answers

8
Its hard to say, but just as a point of reference for you: A client of mine added a complete second story to their home, including two bathrooms, for around $75,000. It was a one story home roughly the same size as the one you describe.
2 baths and a second story for $75k? Hard to believe.
Flag Thu May 24, 2012
If you are talking about raising the roof and adding a second floor with a bathroom you are probably going to spend at least $100,000. It's not easy or cheap to add a second floor. I had a client that said he could do it for less and he found out the hard way when a contractor underquoted him to get the work then kept raising the price.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu May 24, 2012
Hi moonrises,

Did you find a contractor to answer your questions. A contractor would be the best informed. There may be other things to consider structually.
The conversation here is potentially all correct, because so much depends on the situation for the existing home, Adding 420 sf to a home can be done for as little as 50k, but probably not in this situation, given the need for a new roof and potential structural issues, The only way to really know, is to have a qualified, licensed design build company come out to view the site and prepare a full estimate. My company, New City Construction, does exactly this kind of work. You can reach me at 240-994-0880 if you'd like to discuss the project further and/ or to set up a free site visit and estimate.
H moonrises, are you going to be selling or renting the home when you are finished?
contact miekeba@heymannrealty.com
Not selling or renting but to accommodate additional family member.
Flag Sat May 26, 2012
I'm sorry to disagree...but work like this is not $200/square foot when you are removing a roof and resetting roof trusses and recalculating for load increases. When you add a second story, you need to make sure that the foundation footers are capable of handling the extra load. When houses are built, very rarely is there extra or ample footing to accommodate an entire second floor. You will need an architect to determine how to do this kind of project. I just got several estimates for a small project like this (without the roof component) and the average cost was $36,000 to just block walls of an existing patio one story concrete patio to turn it into a usable addition. If someone is quoting you $50,000, I would check their credentials and references--it certainly isn't a company like Case Design. Anyone can do work cheaply--I see it all the time. Poor work costs you more in the end and you will wind up paying double to have the job done right when someone messes it up big time.
Peiro has the corrct amount, it's about $200.00 a square foot.

Greg Myers
Hi Moonrises,

That is going to very pretty dramatically based on your homes existing structure. I'd contact at least three local contractors for estimates. You are probably talking upwards of $50k but you may get more than that back in increased value.