Vengar, Home Buyer in Houston, TX

how much space is required for a toilet in a bathroom in Houston, Texas?

Asked by Vengar, Houston, TX Thu Jul 15, 2010

I've purchased an older home and would like to remodel the hall bathroom by incorporating an additional 2 foot by 5 foot space from the laundry room and moving the commode on the other side of the tub. I'm wondering if this is possible within the additional space. I just don't like the idea of a toilet next to a soaking tub - especially when it's right next to where your head would be! :) Thanks for any help!

Answers

2
Robert Armacost’s answer
According to the International Residential Code (IRC) your allowed 15" from the center of commode to a wall and 21" clearance in front, Houston may have not adopted the 06' IRC edition so you should call them.
The toilet sits in the middle of a 30 inches wide space and there should be 18 inches in front by most codes.
The Houston code could be more restrictive, but, I don't know why. You can cal them and ask without telling them what you are doing. If they ask; just tell then you are helping a friend do some planning and you don't know anything else about it.