Remodel & Renovate in Dallas>Question Details

Psmith111, Home Owner in Dallas, TX

how much does it cost to tear down and rebuild a huse in Dallas, TX?

Asked by Psmith111, Dallas, TX Fri Mar 18, 2011

still paying for current house, only lived here for 4 years on a 30 year mortgage.

Answers

10
This question really is too broad - one would have to know the specifics of the situation and exactly what type of materials you would want to use in constructing a new home. Scraping a lot is the most minute expense you will have. First you have to acquire the existing lot on which you wish to tear something down. The price of that lot depends primarily on two things 1) Size and 2) Location. Then you would need to get quotes from at least 3 or 4 home builders who could provide you an estimate of the cost to construct the house you want to build. Generally you can expect to pay anywhere from $ 80 to $ 200 per square foot.
Naturally the $ 80 is for just the basics and the $ 200 is for top of the line finish-outs.
I'd be happy to help you - or feel free to visit my website for more information on representation.
JAY NAREY ABR, ALHS
Keller Williams - Preston Rd.
Dallas, TX
jaynarey@kw.com
Web Reference: http://www.jaynarey.com
Hi PSmith,

Your question is way to broad... would you like brick walls, wood floors, heated floors... what size is the house? Is it one story? Do you want professionals are corner laborers?

This is really an answer to be priced out by a specialist based on what you want.

What I can tell you is that it's cheaper to buy than build, today. This is why you do not see many active builders.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Mar 18, 2011
Based on insurance replacement cost estimators, mid-range price per square foot is between $95-115. High end houses are between $125-175. Keep in mind, these are to be considered rule-of-thumb, not actual values.

Once you rebuild, you will need to have reevaluated for full replacement cost, also known as insued value. You can get free online estimates at our website listed below.

Have fun with the rebuild.

Sean Kimbrough
CNR Insurance Brokerage
CNR Brokerage.com
Web Reference: http://www.cnrbrokerage.com
I have found that the cost is a combination of size of home, construction I.e. brick veneer vs wood siding, foundation type and salvage value of the items in the home such as doors, windows, hardwood flooring. That said we budget between 5,000 and 8,500. To tear down, remove and dispose.

If you need additional assistance let me know.
Tom Greico
Web Reference: http://Www.greicohomes.com
PSmith111,

Jay gave you an excellent answer below, and I think his figures are right on the mark. I see several expenses to consider:

a) Purchase of the old home/lot
b) Clearing the lot - $5000 if very easy, more likely $10,000-ish
c) Build cost of $75-80 (low end) to $200+ (very high end) per square foot

Factors a) and c) will really determine your cost. How much do you have to pay for the dirt, and how much house are you going to build at what quality level.

Lots of potential variance to your final answer.

Hope this helps!

Greg
It would depend on the size of your home.

I would contact your mortgage company and talk to them about your plans.

The new house would be another charge, in addition to your current mortgage.
I would see if you qualify for this.

If so, contact a reputable builder who can provide you an estimate on costs to
demolish home and re build. If you need the name of some reputable builders
I would be happy to provide them.
Kathleen Testa, Coldwell Banker
There is a site called homeblue.com that you can describe what you want and contractors can provide you with the information to help you determine the demolition cost. I've included the link below.

Rebuilding cost will be determined on several factors - i.e. are you rebuilding yourself, hiring contractors, using a custom builder, size of home, types of materials, etc. You will also not want to over build and thus over pricing your home depending on the comparables of other houses in the neighborhood.

Hope this helps.
The other agents have given good answers. You do not mention if you already own the house or will you be buying a house you want to tear down? Land value varies quite a bit in Dallas and surrounding areas, that will also affect your price as will the type of housing surrounding your lot and deed restrictions.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance,

Mary Beth Harrison
The Harrison Group
214-365-6500
mbh@DallasNative.com
Web Reference: http://www.dallasnative.com
You need direct all your questions to contractors AND city of Dallas no Realtor can render a virtual opinion many factors are taken inconsideration

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Wow... definitely such a huge range there one cannot give a good answer. I would speak with several contractors in the area and get estimates and/or bids on the project.

Don Groff
REALTOR | Mortgage Broker | Consultant
Keller Williams Realty | 360 Lending Group
512.669.5599
listings@dongroff.com