Remodel & Renovate in 60644>Question Details

Cedric  Woul…, Home Buyer in 60644

how much does it cost to demolish a house built in 1908 on a 25x125 lot in chicago,il,60644?

Asked by Cedric Wouldfolk, 60644 Sun Jan 3, 2010

Answers

4
Hi Ced-

Harry is right on target with his range. My personal experience is $30,000 is about where it will end up with all costs and permits.
It is critical to have licensed contractors do the work and be sure you get the necessary permits. The city will also require the lot be fenced as and after the work is done.

Dave
I think it depends on the demolition company that you hire to do it. If I were you, I would call the local demolition companies in your area and see what they charge. They should be able to give you a price and help you with everything you need. I think this would be most beneficial for you and help you get the information you want! http://www.mcmservices.com.au/expertise/demolition
Flag Mon Mar 30, 2015
Hi Ced,

In addition to the factors pointed out by Wayne you may also have environmental issues i.e., asbestos. Make sure whomever you assign the project to is licensed and capable to handle these issues.

There are a lot of variables in this question. How big is the structure? Is it frame or masonry? How close are the adjacent structures?

I would contact a qualified demolition contractor to get proposals. You should request that the contractor be licensed and insured (both Liability Insurance and Workman's Comp). They should also participate in a C+D (construction and demolition) recycling wasted program. Allied Waste runs a very good facility in the city, and will divert almost all C+D materials from landfills. The added cost is marginal.

I suggest you also look into deconstruction and donating usable materials in the home to an organization such as the Delta Institute. They run a construction materials reuse facility called the Rebuilding Exchange in Brighton Park. Also check out http://www.urbanhabitatchicago.org/. They have deconstruction contractors to refer you to, that can give you proposals. Old homes are filled with fantastic materials we'll never be able to work with again unless we harvest them from existing structures. I'm sure the cost are becoming very competitive, especially if there are tax incentives to donating the reusable materials.

Best of Luck,

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams CCG
312-77BEALS
312-772-3257
wbeals@kw.com
I've heard from Chicago developers it can range anywhere between $15,000-$45,000 to tear down a home. Its going to depend on accessibility to get to the home from the street or alley. If its a brick home, you may be able to sell the bricks to a brick reseller and re-coup some of your demo costs. Good luck!