Remodel & Renovate in 94551>Question Details

Mercina Schn…, Other/Just Looking in Livermore, CA

how can you calculate property taxes for an addition?

Asked by Mercina Schneider, Livermore, CA Sat Dec 8, 2012

I am looking at doing a garage conversion to add a master suite (288sf) to my modest 3 bedroom 1 bath, anyone know how much this will increase my property taxes?

Answers

4
Your best bet is to contact the Alameda County Assessor's Office:

http://www.acgov.org/assessor/phone.htm
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012
Contact the county - they can spell out all the guidelines for you.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 15, 2012
@ steve thanks but the house also has a detached garage. I have pretty solid reasons for staying in this house. I am planning to do a proper remodel with permits, adding windows and skylights etc. I was looking to find out how much this will increase my taxes before it actually triggers a new rate.
Mercina,

Once you do a permitted addition, it triggers a notice to the assessor's office. They will then contact you by mail or may pay you a visit to determine how much your addition has increased the value of your home, hence tag additional taxes on the property based on the type of remodel/addition that you have done.

Although conversion of a garage will provide additional space, very often it will not create a credible square footage since it generally will not have proper cooling or heating and may or may not get adequate natural light. Furthermore, it may handicap the desirability of your house when you go to sell it since it will not have a garage. Lots of people buy homes because they want to be able to park their cars in the garage and not having it may limit its marketability.

Having said the above, sometimes it makes better sense to consider moving up to a larger house rather than going through the expenditure of the remodel. You may be surprised as to the cost associated with the remodel versus considering buying a larger home. Consider consulting your situation with a Realtor before you finalize your decision. Feel free to call me if you like….I would be happy to go over both options and provide you an unbiased opinion as to which options may work better for you.

Happy Holidays and Best Wishes,
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 8, 2012