Jw, Home Owner in Chicago, IL

garden units with pipes for entire bldg

Asked by Jw, Chicago, IL Wed Jan 25, 2012

can individual owners or association force access when plumbing issues occur

Help the community by answering this question:


Philip Sencer’s answer
Why would you want to prevent access if there is a plumbing problem in other units? If you had a plumbing problem would you be ok if the building ignored your request for help? The likelihood of your unit having water issues, eiyther from the plumbing or from leaking from heavy rains etc is rather high. I do not think it wise to irritate the only people who would have the final decision to assist you when that day comes.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
I would assume they can, and why would you not want them to? If something goes wrong, they need to access them.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
Whether you are a tenant or an owner I would review your lease or Decs/By-Laws and Rules and Regulations for the building and definitely consult a licensed attorney if you have any questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
For your own interest, its better to let them fix the problem asap cos you are at the bottom of the pipe. Don't you think so?
However, if they need to do maintanence through your unit, it may be a design issue. It should not be designed that way when they build out the garden unit.
Web Reference: http://Kkyan.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
the individual owners part is questionable but you are subject to building maintenance.. i would venture to guess there is a main shut off located outside your unit or if not.. install one
Web Reference: http://www.joeschiller.net
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
Check with the association declarations and bylaws, but if the plumbing issues pose an immediate threat to the safety/integrity of the building, then the association may be able to access in order to correct the problem.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012

Longer answer: The association or management certainly can. Individual owners probably can't. You'd have to read your lease or (if it's a condo) your condo documents.

Management or the association may be required to provide reasonable notice . . . except in the case of emergencies, when typically no advance notice needs to be provided.

That information should be in your lease or in your condo documents.

Hope that helps.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Jan 25, 2012
Don Tepper, Real Estate Pro in Burke, VA
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer