Henry, Home Buyer in Brooklyn, NY

foot step sound from next door

Asked by Henry, Brooklyn, NY Thu Apr 21, 2011

I am living in co-op. I can hear the loud foot step sound on hardwood floor from my neighbor next door. Is there any way to block/reduce the sound? Any cheaper and easy sound proof methods?

Answers

6
Jack is correct and if the percentage is stated in your. House Rules or Bylaws(80% is common) then file a written complaint with your management company.
If your building does not have a management company file your complant directly with your Board of Directors.
Best
Richard I. Buff
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 22, 2011
Check your coop rules & regulations. Many buildings require you to cover a certain % of the apartment with carpeting... As much as 80% excluding the kitchens and bathrooms.

Jack Menashe
917.797.0215
http://www.SHERestates.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 21, 2011
We would suggest discussing the issue with your neighbor. Sometimes people don't realize they are making a disturbing noise. If you receive a negative response you may wish to discuss the issue with members of the Board of Directors. Perhaps the neighbor is violating a house rule regarding carpeting / floor covering and they will have the expense of correcting the problem.

From experience we have found the sound-proofing is an expensive undertaking.

David Rogoff and Bonnie Chernin
Fillmore Real Estate Branch #19
davidrogoff@fillmore.com
bonniechernin@fillmore.com
917-593-4068 (CELL)
I would probably Google search OR ask other residents in bldg how to block sound

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Have you tried discussing the noise levels with management....
Dear Henry:

Maybe you should buy some earplugs, they sell them in any pharmacy. Also, try speaking politely to the neighbors again.

I have noticed you posting several questions about the noise in your building and I feel bad for you. Perhaps you should consider selling the place? If you are thinking about that I can give you a free estimate as to how much your property is worth and help you prepare a budget to purchase another property where you would not have the noise issues. Let me know if I can be of further assistance. Good luck!

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Email: MitchellSFeldman@aol.com