Sheila, Other/Just Looking in Fishers, IN

does tile floor get a better return than hard wood? Do buyers tend to like one better than ther other?

Asked by Sheila, Fishers, IN Tue Jan 6, 2009

Answers

9
Hey, I just want to say, I love you Dan. And Sheila, as you can see, all the answers agree. When making
decisions think about how the room is used and how the floors will look, blend in, and hold up. For living areas - wood. For kichens/laundry/mudroom - tile unless the kitchen blends into the family room or other such area. Then you sould consider wood in the kichen. I love Jody's idea about the heat strips under
tile floors.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 6, 2009
I agree it depends on the room. I think a small protion of people do not like tile floors because of how cold they are, but people would prefer tile over vinyl. The hardwood is great and it is a little cheaper than tile in most cases. Not much cheaper but you will see a difference.
Hi Shelia,
Welll thats tricky. I most cases hardwoods are more desirable, but in Fishers it may be different. You want to be careful not to over-do it and put more money in than you can get back. I have extensive knowledge about rehabs in Fishers as I have done 2 myself in 2008, I would be happy to give you some furthur input. Thanks!

Pete George - REALTOR
Century 21 Scheetz
317-702-2881 - Cell
pgeorge3@c21scheetz.com
Web Reference: http://www.buygeorge.biz
They are both desirable however it depends in which room you are putting them and is to one's preference. kitchens, bathroom, entryways are better for tile than hardwood while bedrooms, dining, living room, family room and hallways are more prown to having hardwood. You usually want to avoid hardwood in rooms with water. Good luck with your choices
Web Reference: http://www.ScottSellsNH.com
Sheila, Thats a really good question. For the most part I agree with Marita, we seldom disagree. My experince has been about 50/50, many previous homeowners have discovered that hardwoods can require more maintainance, with some improvements made to finishes this is not always the case anymore. In my opinion hardwoods do give a home a warmer feeling though and I have a preference for them. If you do go with hardwoods good with a good product, you might call ProSand (link below) for some more information, I recently had them refinish some 40 year old hardwoods and they look like new, the finish with a product called Glista. I smaller rooms and entries hardwoods seem to make a room feel larger.
Best of luck,
Dan Baize
Sheila,

Both tile and hardwood floors are desirable. The issue becomes one of preference. Because of their appeal many home owners have both tile and hardwood in their homes.

We find that people with pets seem to be attracted to tile because of its serviceability. The fact that hardwood tends to scratch gives an edge to tile for pet owners.
That's a really good question. While there are studies that show which home improvements get the best return on investment, I've not seen one that shows materials. Here's my unscientific poll, though: Hardwoods typically are preferred if they are in good condition. But signs of water damage - especially around the frig and exterior doors - are a turn off. Hardwood in the family room area definately is preferred over tiel. But tile in the bathroom, entry and laundry room always are winners. Hope that helps.
Most buyers currently favor hardwoods. Having had both at one time or another, I would prefer in Indiana to have tile with heat strips underneath. Especially for high traffic areas like bathrooms, kitchens and mudrooms, you just cant beat tile for durability. If a family has pets they can quickly make a mess of beautifully finished hardwoods and nothing looks worse than a scratched wood floor.
Hi Sheila, Buyers love hardwood even though we know tile is better in a kitchen. If the kitchen is open to
the dining or family room area, you should use the same floor covering for all. It will make the area seem
larger. That makes hard woods floors an even better choice because they look and feel warmer. My buyers are almost always more attracted to a home with hard wood floors than tile. Tile is a good choice for baths
and laundry areas. I hope that answers your question.