Remodel & Renovate in 07726>Question Details

wjennings, Home Owner in Manalapan, NJ

cost to gut and renovate entire second story (900 sf)

Asked by wjennings, Manalapan, NJ Wed Aug 8, 2012

Including creating a master suite with master bath, 2nd and 3rd bedrooms, and a guest bath. Includes plumbing, electric and HVAC (installing central air).

Answers

6
We are NJ licensed home remodelers with over 35 years experience but without seeing it I can only give you a ballpark sq ft # and even that varies based on the types of finishes that you choose. You can expect to pay between $45,000-75,000 without and exterior work such as new windows. The range depends on choices like carpet vs hardwood flooring, laminate vs granite bath counters, white bath fixtures vs color, etc. If we can be of service, feel free to email us at info@HomeImprovementsUnlimitedInc.com. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 15, 2012
It is impossible to guess what a major improvement would cost without talking to few licensed professional builders/ contractors. You will need to have a plan from an architect, get the plans approved by the Twp & interview a few contractors before selecting one. Make sure you check with the Better Business Bureau to make sure they are reputable
I am going to ditto all of the other rjesponses, contact a few contractors and take it from there!

good luck!

Francesca
I think you would need to get an estimate from a licensed general contractor and would be happy to recommend a few names to you. Once you have that number, you might want to consult with an agent such as myself to see what other homes in your particular neighborhood are selling for. In some instances, you may be overimproving your home and you would not be able to recoup the money invested. In other words, you might be better off trading up, particularly because interest rates are at all time lows. If you plan to be in the house with the improvements in place for a reasonable amount of time (in my opinion at least 7 years), you will have at least gotten to enjoy your improvements even if you don't get the money out dollar for dollar. In many instances that I've seen when homes have been over improved compared to other homes in a particular neighborhood, it is the next buyer who reaps the benefit of your money, time and effort at improving your home.
Anywhere from why so cheap all the way to lord so much! You need to talk to a contractor to determine what the plan is, the luxury level of the 2 bathrooms and get a bid on that.
Finding a professional contractor is your first step...someone who is recommended from a person you may know. Thus way you can ask how the whole transaction went and you can see the work for yourself. Any good contractor will give you references to call and go see his past work
Next you should contact a real estate professional who can tell you if the work you plan on doing will improve the value of your home or not when compared to other homes
in your area