Remodel & Renovate in 77471>Question Details

Colleen, Home Owner in 77471

can i get a fine for not getting a buliding permit?

Asked by Colleen, 77471 Sat Mar 12, 2011

Answers

11
Doing any major construction (anything beyond painting, for example) is an invitation to disaster. One, the city/county can shut your project down and exact fines. Two, the city/county can make you un-do everything and start from the beginning and 3). if you ever refinance or sell the appraiser is going to note that there are changes to the original structure done without permits. There is a good chance no lender witll finance the property, and if they do it will be a very dicey transaction...including, but not limited to inspections by engineers or other qualified professionals. Simply not worth the risk to do the work without the permits.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jun 21, 2011
Colleen,

I'm going to assume that the building and rehabbing laws are pretty similar from State to State and City to City. Here in Chicago, you can get yourself in lots of trouble if you do any renovations without getting a building permit. For little things like painting, or floor refinishing, most people wouldn't bother, but if you are doing anything bigger you probably want to get a permit. If you are doing any type of structural renovations then you definitely want to get a permit. You can be fined and the fines could be very expensive. You can probably find all the information you need and even apply for the permits on your cities or townships website.

Marcin
Marcin@conlonrealestate.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Mar 12, 2011
It's just like asking if i eat a red light would i get a ticket.
I cannot find all permits dating back 14 years, building inspector says I am grandtathered in, but do I need all permits for electrical,plumbing ie? to apply for a variance?
You should follow the city rules and get a permit. What are you building that you would question getting a permit or not? It's best to safe than "Really" sorry later!
Colleen,

Just wanted to follow up and see what you ultimately decided?

Corey
Potentially or I've seen the building inspector here make the homeowner take down the structure.
Not a fun process to ask forgiveness in some places.
Web Reference: http://www.teamlynn.com
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
In addition to recieving a fine, you may end up having to do some reconstruction after it has been discovered and inspections are required. The other potential cost would be to have an engineer come in and certify the craftsmanship. I would go with the upfront definitive cost vs. the potential unknown.
Always inquire about any possible needed permits before adding any additions, renovations, etc., yes, fines could be issued as could work stoppages.
Hi Colleen, Yes you can find the township investigates in any manner. Also you should know that if you go to sell and it's found that you built something or added something that didn't have a permit you may be asked to take it down or get fined, cause issues with your sale.

hope that helps
Dave & Lisa
Web Reference: http://www.urhomerealty.net
Hi Colleen, I would advise to to any major remodeling or building without permits. The city can shut the project down pretty quick and yes, I believe invoke fines. I would contact the City of ? for permit requirements.

Have a great weekend.