Remodel & Renovate in 77015>Question Details

Bigmex, Home Owner in Houston, TX

bought a property that consisted of two lots with warehouse type building, sitting on one lot, that I converted to a duplex. One lot had water meter

Asked by Bigmex, Houston, TX Sat Mar 10, 2012

and the other lot had sewer line that serviced the property before I bought it. The property is located in Cloverleaf, TX and is serviced by Water Control & Improvment District #36. WC&ID has a 1 meter/sewer line per lot policy, which of was unaware of and realtor never disclosed to me before I bought property. My question is, Should the realtor have informed me of the policy and can I legally do something to use one water meter for my duplex? What would be my other options? Thanks for your help.

Answers

5
Carolyn Wolfe’s answer
Great answers here, but if you purchased a foreclosure, then the seller wasnt even required to give you a seller's disclosure. I would consult a Real Estate attorney about your meter problem, he/she may be able to work something out with the your MUD district that works for everyone since the situation existed before your purchase.
One meter and sewer per property....or per lot?
Must agree fully with both answers below. It sounds like the realtor didn't know. If he/she don't know, there is nothing to "disclose." But since the agent didn't own the property, the agent does not have the burden of disclosure. This sounds like something you should have put in the property usage section on the contract and had it verified by independent resources. Agents are not lawyers, so it's always a good idea to hire one if you've got a non-standard purchase contract or intended use. If we know, we tell, but this doesn't seem at all like the agent was in error. Sorry you had to learn this the hard way.
Sounds like you may want to consult an attorney. I'm not familiar with the Texas Contract to Buy or disclosure rules, but I highly doubt your Realtor was required to disclose that bit of information. The seller probably had to provide some sort of seller's property disclosure and possibly something that discloses the source of water? And, your contract probably has various ways to get out of the contract (i.e. contingenies). For example, if you did your due diligence and found an issue with the property that you're not satisfied with, you'd be able to back out of the contract. But it sounds like you didn't do the reasearch and are looking for someone to blame.
If you would have asked your REALTOR® before hand, he/she would have been able to find out for you. If not, then it is not the REALTOR'S® responsibility to disclose how many water meters are on the property.The seller should have disclosed this in the seller's disclosure notice.