Jennifer, Renter in Colorado Springs, CO

affordable rentals for disabled

Asked by Jennifer, Colorado Springs, CO Wed Nov 16, 2011

Answers

2
Good Morning Jennifer,
Finding affordable housing or rentals for special challenges can be difficult, especially with the rental market as competitive as it is today. Our team does have rental properties that can accommodate special challenges and if we happen to not have any available at the moment we can also locate properties through our search system. We also work with companies that can assess the needs and potentially make minor modifications. This was done for a friend of mine that cannot walk up stairs, we were able to find her a place to live in an old Victorian, living on the main level and had a ramp built at the entrance to the property. We find solutions for people. Please feel free to contact us with any questions.
Hello Jennifer. Looking for the perfect rental unit can be tough enough but when you need to find one that will accomodate special needs, well it can be a real challange. I know because I spent a couple of months last spring looking for my brother who uses a power wheelchair. Many complexes I went to claimed to have an accessible apartment but when I got there, I often found an obstacle that made it difficult to get to or get his chair into. We ended up finding a very nice accessible condo to rent, got him moved in, then discovered that the paratransit system stops service about 1/2 mile from where he lives. Fortunately there are some other volunteer transit services but not the optimal situation! It would help to know what part of town you'd like to be in and what special accomodations you may need. Because one of my specialties is assisting seniors with real estate transactions, I do have many resource lists and would be glad to share these and my experience with rental searches. Although I don't do property management myself, I do have a property manager in my office. I also work with a couple of programs that could allow you to purchase your own accessible home if you are interested in that as well. Please feel free to contact me at 719-930-1323 for more information. Good Luck.