Remodel & Renovate in 60647>Question Details

Emma, Other/Just Looking in

2 flat greystone with unfinished basement was built in 1918. Trying to figure out what a good amount is to

Asked by Emma, Sun Dec 28, 2008

get it rent-able and at some point (after the economy regains its footing) selling. This is my mom's house and she is no longer able to care for herself. We are trying to maximize her assets and thus are not looking to spend a lot of money with this. Also, is there a formula, for what you spend on a remodel vs. what you should expect to gain in selling price??

Answers

4
I wish Trulia would automatically delete the questions after 6 months, so they do not keep popping up 5 years later.
In 60647 depend of the streets a lot ..send me an email at barcelonarealtor@gmail.com i can see the property and i can give you some advise in what to do , looking at your competition .
Hi Emma, I do have a Cost vs. Value report just published this month which breaks down each type of remodel and return, based on location in U.S. If you'd like me to send you a copy, provide me with your email address. It is a little more elaborate than the one you can access on the web.
Linda Zielinski
lzielinski@ksgmac.com
847-456-3105 Cell
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 28, 2008
There's no exact formula for what you put into the remodel and what you get back. Kitchens and bathrooms of course get you about 90% back of the money you invested. A finished basement can be very costly so you might only see 50-60% return on your money. Recessed lights are always a bonus for resale, but will not be high on return. If you plan to rent the basement out for a few years, then I think it will be worth it in the long run. Just do your research first and be sure to plan it all out before starting. Good luck Emma!

Jillian Mason
Direct: 732-586-5488
E-Mail: jillian@jillianmason.com
Web Reference: http://www.jillianmason.com