Remodel & Renovate in 80020>Question Details

Browne.allen, Other/Just Looking in Outside U.S.

3 bed 2 bath vs 3 bed 3 bath?

Asked by Browne.allen, Outside U.S. Thu Oct 17, 2013

I've got a 1957 ranch home. It's currently a 3 bed 2 bath (the 3rd bedroom is a bit small, maybe 9x10). We're considering turning the 3rd bedroom into a bathroom and walk-in closet.

The catch is, the basement is 80% finished with a non-conforming bedroom. We're going to be putting a proper egress in it to make it an official bedroom. So we'd gain a master bathroom, lose an upstairs bedroom, and gain an official basement bedroom.

My concern is if that will significantly affect the value of our home. I know 2 bedroom houses are tough to sell, but what about a 3 bedroom one where the 3rd is in the basement?

We plan to live here at least 5 years.

Answers

3
John Waters’ answer
The gain of a master is a great addition for these Broomfield ranches. The lack of master bath is what I get most buyer resistance towards along with a one car garage. Put in the largest egress window you can afford as the big ones let in lots of light making the basement fell better. Good news is these ranch homes are very popular and I will assume you have a bigger yard with some mature trees. You have a win win situation.
Best wishes.
John Waters
Here are a few things to consider:

1. First and foremost you purchased the home to live in. What type of set-up would make you the most comfortable.

2. If you are truly only going to be there for 5 years or less, I would consider not doing the Master addition. Even if you add a basement bedroom with an egress window and tons of natural light, it is still a basement bedroom.

3. You are correct a 2 bedroom is tough to sell. This is considered a starter home in Broomfield. If a family with younger children purchase the home they would want everyone on the same floor, not in a basement bedroom.

Hope this helps
Little hard to say without seeing the house, but if you can get larger rooms and a basement bed with egress, good light, closet etc., that is a good way to go.

Buyers like new and larger.