Remodel & Renovate in Topeka>Question Details

Aeva, Home Owner in Topeka, KS

Would I increase the value of my 4 br home by converting 1 br upstairs to a bathroom? It would then be a 3 bedroom 2 bath home.

Asked by Aeva, Topeka, KS Sun Feb 19, 2012

1 br and 1 bathroom is currently on lower level. 3 br on upper level

Answers

8
Aeva,
Based only on the information you gave , I think that in general going from a 4 bd, 1bth to a 3bd, 2bth is more desirable to a larger group of buyers and thus more valuable. Obviously, the same motivations that are driving you to consider this change, after living in the home, will be the same for potential buyers. Always keep in mind that the benefits to your family while living there is very important in this decision.... it's not always about the resale value. As stated in previous posts the BEST way to answer this questions is have a competent Real Estate Agent perform a Comparative Market Analysis (CMA), Usually a free service.

Bob B.
Web Reference: http://BobBrackney.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 20, 2012
Dear Aeva,

I agree more with Becky. There are many factors to take into consideration before making this decision. While a 4BR opens you up to a larger market, most 4BR buyers are going to want two baths. There may be other things you can do with the home to maximize value, and depending on what you owe, what the home could -reasonably bring, when you plan to put it on the market, etc., all of these things need to be adequately investigated. Call me anytime if you need help with real estate related questions: 785-925-3648. You do need a professional to help you with this one!
Avae,
Yes, I think adding a master bath would help your house sell. Depending on you layout, you might consider making a master bath and a half bath in the hallway.
Aeva: There are so many factors involved in answering this question. What is the style of the home currently, where is it located? Would the new bath have an entry into the master which could add value to the home. Finally, are you planning to stay their for a while or sell it soon after remodeling? You would want the addition to make sense in the house. Some times homeowners make a change and then it sticks out compared to the rest of the home. It would be my pleasure to come tour your home, talk about the renovations and whether that is the best way to add value to your home.
Best Wishes.
Web Reference: http://beckyburghart.com
Chris and Jennifer are right and it seems like they are local for you so I would give them a call.
The best way to determine the added value is to have two CMA's (current market analysis) done. One with data of how your house is now, one with the changes you are considering. We'd be happy to help!
I agree with Joan at least it is if it were in Las Vegas.

But you really need to get with an agent specific to your area before you do anything to see where the values are and what is selling.

Web Reference: http://www.LasVegasDawn.com
Hi Aeva You might want to check with your listing realtor before making any changes to your house. Have them check to see which way your home would have more market value. Typically a 4 bedroom home is worth much more than a 3 bedroom home.