Wayne Happ, Other/Just Looking in Califon, NJ

Wood Stove Insert into fireplace

Asked by Wayne Happ, Califon, NJ Sun Sep 14, 2008

it's constructed, the only thing it can do is send all of the heat up the chimney. I was thinking of putting a wood stove insert into the fireplace. (Hopefully the think could generate some heat) Amyone have experience with these? are they worth it?

Details
Oil heat. (Way out in farm land. Gas is not an option)
Heat is steam radiators.

Wayne

Answers

6
Wayne you are absolutely correct about all the heat going up the chimney. I put in a decorative insert in last year with a duel speed fan blower and cut my oil bill by 1/2. Even with the reduced prices for fuel nowadays the cost of the insert will be covered. MOST IMPORTANT - This year you can get a tax credit up to $1500 for purchasing and installing one of these. See the website below under biomass stoves
I have one in my home for over 20 years from Vermont casting it still works great I put heat from the fireplace into my home not up the Chimmey!
Hi Wayne!
I have a regular (soapstone) wood stove that I inserted in my fireplace and it works great! Stop by and take a look when you are in the neighborhood.
Web Reference: http://www.housewebtour.com
There is a fireplace insert called a heatolater.. (check spelling) It fits inside the fireplace and has a glass door.. it lets the smoke out and blows the heat into the room. I have a friend that has one.. it works very well.

Google search the heatolater thingy...

John Sacktig
Broker/manager
Orange Key Realty
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 14, 2008
Yes they are worth it I live in Iowa and also had a woodburning fireplace We replaced it with an insert and could warm the entire home It was about a 1700 square foot home Saved alot of money on the heat bills using the fireplace Hope that help Anna in Iowa
I have a wood stove in my Hopewell Home. It really cranks out heat. You will need to keep up with mess of wood and bugs that seem to hitch a ride. You should also get the heatolator (sp?) It is a fan that helps move heat around the stove. You may also want a catalytic convertor that burns more efficiently. Consider that if your floor plan is not open that you may need fans to circulate. It doesnt heat entire house but helps.