Remodel & Renovate in Edison>Question Details

manionline, Home Buyer in Edison, NJ

Will real estate taxes rise in Edison NJ?

Asked by manionline, Edison, NJ Fri Mar 1, 2013

I want to demolish my home which was build in the 1950 and rebuild it exactly on the same footprint. This will be an energy efficient home and the electric work will have copper wiring instead of aluminum. Will my real estate taxes go up even if I do not increase the square foot of the home. Could someone who has done such a project share your experience with the township inspectors and the process.

Answers

3
You will get a better info from the Edison Town Tax Assessor's office.
Manionline

Yes they probably will go up. Your best bet is to call the township, explain what you want to do, then speak to someone who can explain how they base the property taxes on new construction, even is you leave the same footprint and/or square footage.

732-248-7200 main number. 732-248-7211 tax assessor

Remember, your contractor/builder is going to have to file plans and apply for permits. Typically you need to have the plans approved, then each step (framing, plumbing, electrical work, even insulation etc) will have to be inspected and approved prior to moving onto the next step.
typically if you leave 1 wall up or maybe even use the same foot print Taxes will or rise based on the permit application. Total new construction would be a lot more.

check with your town