Remodel & Renovate in 33716>Question Details

Jeanne, Home Owner in Melbourne, FL

Will it kill my home value to merge two full baths into one big full bath?

Asked by Jeanne, Melbourne, FL Sun Apr 7, 2013

I have a 3 bedroom 2 1/2 bath townhome - 1452 square feet. The bedrooms and 2 full baths are upstairs. I want to create a master bath - the current master bath is very small. The two bathrooms and laundry area are all separated by a wall - in the middle of the upstairs. They separate the master bedroom from the other two bedrooms. I'm wanting to merge the two full baths and possibly the laundry to create a bigger full bath that can be accessible by all bedrooms. Ultimately I want a larger shower and also storage. Currently the shower is tiny and there is not really any storage in the two bathrooms. There is a garden tub I would like to keep.

Answers

8
If your townhome is unique with the 2-1/2 baths and the competitive townhomes in your area only have one central bath then it would be something to consider. However if all of the other homes in your complex have the 2-1/2 bath layout then I would recommend that you do not reconfigure this. You may want to have a space planner see if they could take some room from your bedroom to enlarge your master bath. This would give you the more luxurious bath you seek which would also add value instead of taking value away with the change. If your bedroom is large enough a good space planner could make a suggestion with a very small investment on your part.
No! Don't do it! Use the money to fix up your current home and buy a new home with a big bathroom!

Find out what your home is worth at http://baehade.homeinfo.us/

Good Luck,
Margaret Hassani
Jeanne,

I would have a contractor view your situation and give you suggestions. There might be a way to design and keep both baths, even if one is small. Value and desirability could be an issue when selling with one less bath.

Carin Bowman
carinbowman@aol.com
Century 21 R E Champions
813-363-4642
Is there enough room to combine your one full bath with the laundry and keep two full baths? There are some really great ideas for stackable laundry room/bathroom combos on my favorite home improvement site for building and remodeling http://www.houzz.com
Sell now and find what you want already built elsewhere. Or plan to stay in your TH for a long time, because a 3/1.5 will not sell.
I agree with both answers.
I wouldn't suggest you do it. You'll definitely reduce the value of the property. It would probably make more sense to sell this property, and buy something more to your liking.
Jeanne, you might not like my answer but I do not think it is a good idea. 3 bedroom sharing one bath is a NO NO. It will be hard to sell with this layout. Most buyers want a separate master bath room and not share it.