Aebrown, Other/Just Looking in Portland, OR

Will I pay more in property taxes in Multnomah county if I increase the size of my deck?

Asked by Aebrown, Portland, OR Tue Jul 20, 2010

Answers

4
Brad Fix’s answer
Hi as others have said the county only does appraisals on a random basis 6 to 7 year. they also look at building permits. but in the climate we are in right now the chances of having an increase in property taxs is not as big of an issue as in the past as prices overall are going down not up. so this might be a good time to make some inprovement. As the county is going to have a hard time supporting a valuation increase unless you are doing some major remodel in fact it might be worth your while to get a CMA for your home and see were you are and if it is a lot less that your assest value it might be worth paying for an appraisal you might be able to fight with the county to lower your valuation. good luck and enjoy a new deck thanks Brad
Aebrown, when you apply for a permit that is when the flags go up that you are making improvements on your home. This is the only way that the assessor knows what you are doing. You do not need a permit to rebuild an existing deck if you are not replacing structural supports and just redoing some top boards. Check with the building department at the city. The tax assessor by law comes to your home to physically and visually inspect the house every 6-7 years. You never have to let them in but hey might walk around the house. They can presume what looks like has been redone from the last time or from previous pictures to make any adjustments but if it was not noticeable from the exterior it might get by. But when you are doing electrical, insulation, sheetrock you will probably have a very slight increase in value and maybe very little. The new assessment comes out as of July 1, 2010 so if you are doing it now it will not show up until next Oct 2011 on your tax statement if it shows up at all. Good luck to you.
Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group inc
503-319-9035
Portlandonline. com has a lot of information about this type of thing. But I agree, the size of a deck likely doesn't affect tax assessed values.
I am not a tax expert, but from what I know about tax appraisals - no way! Home taxes are primarily decided by square foot, bedrooms, bath, construction year, and a general estimate of the quality of construction.