Holly.kriebel, Home Owner in Aston, PA

Will I decease the value of my home if I convert my formal living room to a dining room & use space from current dining room to increase kitchen?

Asked by Holly.kriebel, Aston, PA Sun Dec 16, 2012

size?

Answers

6
Holly,

This is a great question......

In our location, we are finding the recent trends show that people are placing less importance on a formal livng room and are seeking to make their home's space more useful to their family's needs. People are finally coming to grips with the fact that a formal living area ends up being a museum for furnishings that are seldom used.

With this said, your proposed plans are in step with a changing trend that so many home owners are moving toward. Additionally, today's builders are also moving away from building homes with a formal living area. It just isn't a good use of square footage and results in money poorly spent.

It is my opinion that it's very unlikely that you will decrease your home's value and probably should increase its market value and buyer appeal.

Your adjustment is one that is keeping pace with the current trend....don't second guess yourself.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure the change is one that will be a welcomed improvement.

I have found that if your house not longer suits you, doing a major renovation is not cost effective;
the exception would be that you are planning on staying there a long, long time:
You cannot remodel your house for the next buyer; you cannot make everybody happy, so don't try.
If you are doing it for your pleasure and comfort, that is one thing....

I am a Kitchen guy; I did Kitchen Remodeling and Cabinets for a living, and I believe it is the most important room in the house. But only if it is done right:
Re-facing the cabinets and putting on a new countertop is like running your fingernails down a blackboard to me.
There are a lot of cabinet companies out there, even lower cost cabinets that are not too bad. Please look in to that; for me.

Good luck and may God bless
You are not just "getting rid of a room", you are expanding the kitchen and if the current is small, chances are by enlarging it, keeping an eat space, you will be adding value to the home. I just don't agree that people use formal living rooms. I've shown so many homes that have a formal living room and they have furniture in there that no one is allowed to sit on, or a piano, or they've made it an office. Just my opinion, hope it helps. I'd be inclined to listen to professionals who are familiar with the market and selling homes rather than someone who is giving an opinion based on only their personal feeling and not facts such as those from the Columbus Board of Realtors or National Association of Realtors of which I am a member. Thanks for listening!
I would agree with Jason. Formal living rooms are not used much these days. People like open floor plans and a family room that is open to kitchen and eat space. I would have to say a larger kitchen should be a great investment.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 16, 2012
Holly:

Chances are you would not as formal living rooms are not as popular as they once were and in fact most builders offer few floor plans including living rooms and instead focus on open floor plans with a kitchen that opens to the family room / great room. As Tim has suggested it's difficult to accurately address this question without seeing your home and your plan for converting the space and the general flow of your home but generally speaking this change should not negatively impact a home's value and rather it's likely to increase the home's value due to the increased functionality of the space. As you've probably heard kitchens and baths offer the best return on your investment dollar on a home and if the size of the kitchen is increased this should also enhance the rooms appeal and thus market value! Good luck!

Jason Opland
Better Homes and Gardens Realty
http://www.JasonOpland.com
That is hard to say without seeing the house and seeing what you already have and how it fits together.