Wdr1, Home Buyer in Santa Monica, CA

What would it cost to tear down and rebuild a new home on our lot?

Asked by Wdr1, Santa Monica, CA Fri Dec 27, 2013

We have a relatively small home, built in the 40s, on a large lot. The floorplan & layout on the lot is such that I think it would be better to tear down & rebuild.

Answers

5
good morning Wdr1,

happy holidays!

as you are reading my colleagues previous comments below there's no direct answer without speaking with the appropriate trade. i have two very strong and experienced resources for you that could take on a project you're describing and have done numerous in santa monica. its always favorable to work with someone whom already has established relationships with the city. if you are interested in speaking with them let me know. best of luck.

warmest regards,
robbie sikora
310.710.5214
Gibson International
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 28, 2013
WDR...

From a Santa Monica permit standpoint, it may be wiser to do a "remodel" meaning you need to keep at least one wall standing. With permits, demolition and new construction you're looking north of $300 per sq. ft.

Building and safety at City Hall can give you the specifics.

Please let us know how we may assist you further.

Best….

Jodi Summers
The SoCal Investment Real Estate Group
Sotheby’s International Realty
310.392.1211
jodi@jodisummers.com
http://www.SantaMonicaPropertyBlog.com
License # - 01343854
**
Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. I hope someday you'll join us, and the world will be as one. - John Lennon
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 27, 2013
You would first need to be pre-approved as well as know what square footage, number of bedrooms and maximum payment and maximum out of pocket for the project.

You need to study the difference of leaving one wall standing and rebuilding a new home as to tearing it all down and starting with a new build permit...

Sheryl Arndt, Real Estate Broker - Sr. Loan Officer CA only
REO & Short Sale Specialist
Credit Repair At No Cost
ALL Loan Programs Available
20+ Years Experience
BRE# 01140252
NMLS# 297251
760-486-4225
9am till 7pm Monday thru Saturday, Sundays by appt.
http://youtu.be/MrygA2_8fAY
If my response was helpful, consider clicking thumbs up or Best Answer!
Call Mike Hart

724.422.4668

He is a great guy and can give you an estimate!
Realtors are not the best people to answer this question for you. You need to talk to a general contractors. Between $190-250 PER square foot.

You need to be hooked up with the right people too, as there are certain rules when doing a tear down, whereas certain costs can be less, if you are able to do a rebuild by leaving UP at least 1-2 original walls vs. a complete & total tear down.

If you would like to shoot me an email directly or give me a call, I can set you up a team of people, you could get quotes from. This would be a general contractor, an architect & a combination of handyman/builder, electrical/plumber etc.

I know reputable home builders, I know reputable "owner // builder" teams.

I DO NOT look back on this same Trulia thread for answers by other agents or Replies from you. Shoot me an email directly or give me a call, if you'd like to discuss this further.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since--- 1996
Realty ONE Group
BRE# 01211967