Remodeler, Both Buyer and Seller in Lincoln Park, Chicago,...

What should I do with garden space originally designated as a sauna?

Asked by Remodeler, Lincoln Park, Chicago, IL Sat Feb 6, 2010

I have a small space (~ 4.5 ft by ~ 8-10 ft, in the garden level) originally designed to house a sauna, but it was never built out. The space is framed or blocked in, but have little desire to use it as a sauna. Space is small, but very high ceiling. Any suggestions as to what to with this space? One thought is a small work-out room. No drain in room, 110V electric is accessible.

Answers

4
Moonshine. I'd like to see one of us try to do a CMA report on a property that has a Moonshine processing room. That's a tricky thing to price.

I would recommend using it for wine. 4-10 is a pretty small space to try to workout in or do much else. If wine isn't your thing then I would recommend using it for storage. Both options are things that buyers like to see (more so the storage then wine room).
Hey Remodeler.

Lots of choices to make...We have a similar room in our basement that we use for tool and materials storage. It helps keep things out of sight and in one spot. You may also consider making it a small shop space of you need such a room. I used to have a darkroom that was about this size, but now I have a digital camera. I like the wine cellar idea, but I'm not that much of aficionado. If you're looking to maximize value, I'd just finish it out and call it storage. It will likely be the least expensive thing to do, and you never know what a future owner will see in the space.

Have you thought about removing the framing and opening it back up? No sense wasting square footage if you don't have a use in mind. I'm never afraid to back track in remodeling (if necessary, although I try my best to avoid making the wrong decision to begin with). After all, the purpose of the exercise is to get the space you want, not live with the constraints that were there in the first place.

Best of luck...

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams CCG
312-77BEALS
312-772-3257
wbeals@kw.com
Reading room, a nice office area, a room of zen?, just the thoughts that came to my mind. Good luck!

Matt Laricy
Americorp Real Estate
Brokers Associate, e-PRo
mlamericorp@aol.com
708-250-2696
Remodeler,

Many new homes are being built with a space included for a wine storage area. Would this concept fit into your scheme of things?

Best wishes,
The Eckler Team