Remodel & Renovate in 07030>Question Details

Nicole, Home Buyer in Hoboken, NJ

What's the process to build a roof deck in Hoboken on a 3 story rowhouse? Has anyone done it that could lend a hand?

Asked by Nicole, Hoboken, NJ Fri Sep 10, 2010

We have a rubber and tar roof on our 3 story Hoboken rowhouse/brownstone. We're interested in putting up a roof deck, but don't really know where to start, other than having a structural engineer assess the weight load that the roof can hold. However, I don't want to pay an engineer to come over only to find out that our building isn't zoned for a roof deck or that it's cost prohibitive. Could anyone help guide me through the process? Have any homeowners (not part of a large development) done it themselves in Hoboken? Does anyone know how to check with the city for such zoning laws, if there are any? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Nicole,

I have a client that just went through this process and was successful. If you'd like additional advice after you talk to the zoning board, please feel free to call me.

Most likely, you're home isn't zoned for a roof deck, which means that you'd have to go for a variance of local zoning laws from the town to gain permission. This would be on top of preparing architectural renderings of the deck and having a structural engineer certify that the building can withstand the weight of the deck.

It's not an easy task, but it can be done.

Your first step is to call the zoning board at (201) 420-2068.

Kevin Dowd
Prudential Castle Point Realty
203 Washington Street
Hoboken, NJ 07030

A phone call to the zoning department should help in determining what is required to do the job. Tell them what you are planning and where you are located. They should be able to tell you what limits they have for the neighborhood.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 12, 2010