Remodel & Renovate in 80134>Question Details

Emily Miller, Both Buyer and Seller in 80134

What's the better upgrade - carpet or laminate flooring?

Asked by Emily Miller, 80134 Sun Apr 5, 2009

We're planning on selling our condo 1 to 2 years from now. By that time our floors will be in desperate need of an upgrade. So what's the better upgrade in terms of ROI - should we do upgraded berber carpet or a nice laminate flooring?

Answers

24
George Lewman’s answer
It's really a personal choice. True Hardwoods will add value, but laminate and carpet will be considered a net neutral for resale. If it is carpet now, I would just replace with a good quality neutral colored carpet.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jun 8, 2012
Given current market inventory in Parker condos without laminate flooring, the laminate would be seen by many buyers as a premium upgrade. This could all change in the next 2 years as the market shifts, but it looks like wood and laminate flooring is holding up as a long term flooring solution. One note of caution, please check with your HOA as some restrict use of non-carpet flooring due to noise issues.
Wait till the last minute and install cheap carpet. It will look and smell new....for a while.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Oct 27, 2010
As a certified BPOR, and from what I see in home prices as a listing and selling REALTOR, wood laminate floors add to the value of the home. They are seen as an upgrade. Specialty carpet can also be an upgrade, but then you are choosing color and style for the potential buyer. Carpet color and style are things potential buyers want to choose for themselves.
Hi Emily,

Some good answers below; Laminates are popular right now, again in 2 years that could change and for the most part people are not going to detour from a newly carpeted home.

Either way I would wait till right before putting the house on the market and look into a neutral carpet or a popular laminate. Either will not necessarily increase the value of the property Thousands of dollars comparatively to the market values of homes in the area. Obviously, showing the property will be a benefit and comparing to what others in the market are doing the new flooring will give an advantage and the home will sell quicker with "newer."

Thanks!
Darrick
I would agree with Mark. Things could certainly change in the next two years, but for now, if you pick a nice laminate, that would probably be seen as an upgrade compared to carpet. As Mark mentions, you will need to check with your HOA that they will allow a non-carpet flooring.
The laminate would hold up better. I would go with a nice laminate in a condo or bamboo wood floor. These would give you a higher rate of return when you go to sell your unit.
I would wait until closer to the time you are selling unless they need it now. I would look at the current trends in the next year or two when you are going to replace. No matter which one you choose, neutral is always best. It would depend as well on the quality that you are looking into as well as what rooms and/or layout of your condo. As one person noted, if you are looking at a laminate make sure that this really is one that looks and feels like hardwood. Creating clean open spaces is important in a condo which depending on the floorplan would mean only one or two flooring types. I recently posted a great quick stats on what percentage of an upgrade you will receive back in the sale of your home on my facebook biz page. Might be helpful Best wishes!
Roxanne Fitzgerald
I would say that would depend on the room. To many different types of flooring can be distracting.
Always stay neutral and and keep the theme consistent.
If you do a laminate floor I would go with the higher upgrade or the one closest to the look of real wood.
I've seen laminates in high end homes recently. I just remodeled a kitchen and found nice laminate at under a dollar per sq. ft. Very easy to install.
Check with the HOA, and maybe even find out what the neighbors have done. If they've all done the same thing it may be best to go that route, or if you are in an area where being unique is the way to go you'll have the right answer for that too. Best to check with the HOA first.
Emily,

Great question. As a Parker Broker, I have been unable to get a solid answer to this question and running comparables in the same area has not made a difference in price per square foot based solely upon flooring. The best advice I can give is to go with your preference and the neighborhood standard. What are you neighbors doing as their houses will be your competition in the near future. If you go with laminate/engineered flooring, use a good quality product that has a guarantee similar to Pergo brand. Put the correct underlayment down to prevent squeaks and water barrier over concrete.

If you want to differntiate your home and it is not being laid directly on concrete, consider true hardwood flooring as an option. This will help your home sell as a competitive feature, but again gaining value has been hard to quantify. True Hardwood floors may make your home sell quicker if it competes with carpet or laminate.

Let me know if you have additional questions or concerns. I would be happy to analyze your home and area to give you a more definite answer.

George
Web Reference: http://www.georgelewman.com
Emily, I have noticed that when I help people redesign a kitchen in a open floor plan, they’ll generally go for having continuity. Customers will install laminate or hardwoods throughout the kitchen, dinning, & living rooms. Just as in previous posts.. I implore you that if laminate is chosen, to get a 3-in-1 pad, and decent laminate boards. Pergo offers in some of their lines a guarantee lock, that even if liquid is spilled on the floor and left pooling it will not penetrate the joint.
FYI-4-DIY.. Whether laminate or hardwood is going into the kitchen, raise the sub floor under the dishwasher to allow it to be pulled out in the event it needs to be replaced after the new floor is installed.
Thanks everyone for your tips. Regarding the HOA, ours does limit hardwood to ground floors which we are on, so fortunately we do have that option.

A follow up question if we do decide to go with laminate or hardwood - what are your thoughts on the kitchen? The living room, dining room, and kitchen are essentially one big room, but the kitchen currently has lino. Should we consider extending the flooring into the kitchen?
I would not like wood or carpet in the kitchen. What about tiling the kitchen?
Flag Tue Sep 10, 2013
Mark,

Excellent point about checking with the HOA!
Hi, Emily!

What a GREAT question! I appreciate your researching the alternatives before spending money. Most buyers do not like laminate flooring. The coments I hear is that laminate flooring is no different than having linoleum. Carpet is a great choice and a suggestion is to spend extra money on the pad to make the carpett "feel" good to perspective buyers. If you can go the expense, wood flooring is another desirable feature that buyers are looking for. A combination of carpet and wood flooring is another option to consider. For more information, I recently wrote a blog article on this topic. Go to http://www.susanspondering.com to read more. To search for townhomes in your area, identifying the different features and their respective prices, go to http://www.susanpond.com. Call me if you would like to discuss further.

Susan Pond
Keller Williams
Phone: 970.532.4570
Web Reference: http://www.susanpond.com
A good option you may want to consider is contacting an appraiser to help determine what is more acceptable within your market area, as far as improvements, and differences in overall contributed value of the improvement(s) options for a particular property type.

The value contributed overall by improvements and/or upgrades (including amenities and/or additions) varies by market areas and property types. In some instances, improvements can be considered an over-improvement within a subject's market area where others may be considered an under-improvement. Both of which can have a negative effect on the overall market value of the subject property.

Improvements/upgrades and such do not reflect in market value of a property dollar for dollar. Those that contribute the highest value are generally kitchens, baths, and roofing whereas flooring is more of personal taste or preferrance of a buyer. Market reaction and/or buyer preference of such improvements would be a greater indication as to which you should choose and the quality.
Thanks for clarifying. I would recommend keeping carpet in the bedrooms. Think about stepping out on to a cold floor in the morning! Regarding the laminate, I agree with David, be sure to use a high quality product. Good luck!
Emily,
Costs will be similar grade for grade and the laminate will be easier to maintain. If you use a high quality product the laminate will maintain its appearance longer. One thing to consider when installing the laminate is to make sure you use the highest quality/ highest density underlayment available. The objection many people have with laminate flooring is the "hollow" sound it can have- a high quality/high density underlayment can make or break the application and even expensive flooring can sound bad and move if you cut corners on the underlayment.
I really dislike laminate unless you are going to spend the money to get the best kind. Walking around on laminate and hearing your footsteps echo makes the whole house feel cheap. The 'frieze' carpet is popular. If you aren't going to sell for 1 to 2 years, I would wait since there are always new products coming on the market. Just don't skimp and get the cheap, loud stuff that peels and separates.
We've got two options. We would definitely need to replace the carpet in the living room & dining room (they are connected) and the hallway. The two bedrooms wouldn't be as bad, but I think for continuity we would want to do those as well.
Sorry to answer your question with another question, what rooms are you thinking about?
Hi Emily,

I'd recommend a high-quality sharp-looking laminate. The costs are pretty similar to the carpet and the laminate will look great for years. Make the room POP!