missesgina, Other/Just Looking in New York, NY

What is the proper way to soundproof?

Asked by missesgina, New York, NY Fri Jan 16, 2009

a room or an entire condo? I added insulation, cork board and sheet rock to one room. That took care of most airborne noise but did nothing for the impact noise.I have been on the websites that offer their products, but is there someone out there who has actually done it? Anyone out there really know how to soundproof?

Answers

11
allan erps,ABR,SFR’s answer
I am agraid that this problem will not be rectified to satisfaction unless one of you move. Do not think there is any alternative except for the possibility of mutual respect OR possibly dealing with the Condo Board. Best of Luck!
MissesGina,
I would love to hear how you finally fixed this problem! I live in a rental and have the same problem with adjoining neighbors who's kitchen abuts my bedroom on two sides(right by my bed) the landlord allowed them to install their own cabinets and the contractor also attached them to the studs after they disintegrated the solid 100 year old plaster walls. Every time they close their cabinets it sounds like a loud drum! (they seem to do that constantly!) I also hear them yawn, sneeze and cough clearly (and they do that a lot) The vibrations from their fridge and dishwasher will wake me up at night- feels like I'm having a heart attack. They also slam their front door which is adjacent to the kitchen. I' d also love to hear from anyone else who knows a safe, economical way to insulate my walls (My ceilings are high)
1 - Install double- or triple-hung vinyl-framed windows in new construction, or replace old windows with upgraded units in existing rooms.

2 - Or make "plugs"--custom-fit coverings the size of the window, made from one of the manufactured products described above. You can make these yourself by purchasing the material and cutting it to fit.

3 - Alternatively, purchase stylish sound-deadening drapes. These are more expensive than window plugs but much more pleasing to the eye.

4 - Soundproof ceilings by applying sound-deadening matting (as described above) or hanging a suspended acoustic tile ceiling; extra sound dampening can be obtained by rolling out batts of thick fiberglass insulation on top of the suspended ceiling.

5 - Apply sound-deadening mats to upstairs floors to cut down on noise levels. These can be applied under carpeting and often have padding built in.
Alex:
I want to block out my next door neighbors, who bang their closet door against our shared wall, allow their child to ram his ride on toys into the wall, play piano at all hours of the day & night, have a dog that loves to bark, will hammer anything at anytime they feel like it, built cabinetry along the wall and nailed it to the studs so every time they open and shut the sliding doors it sounds like a loud bang, slam their front door anywhere from 4 to 30 times daily and last (but not least) bang on the wall when ever they hear my child or me laughing out loud.
Do you have any real answers or are you here to advertise?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Dec 31, 2010
Have you consider replacement of windows? Doors ?

You most likely would require HOA approval replace these items

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
It depends on the reason why you want to soundproof. Are you getting sick of neighbors knocking on your ceiling when you play music? Do you want to block foot steps coming from neighbors or street noise? Last but not least, what is your budget (which can range from $0 to a lot more)
Web Reference: http://www.duo.agprods.com
Oh yes...I had it installed diagonally...you would be suprised how much larger the rooms appear to be. When tile is installed diagonally, it takes your eye out rather than a square view. It is a little more expensive, however, the results are wonderful.
Ron and Deb
I had installed a 18" Ceremic tile thru the living room, dining room, kitchen, foyer and hallway.
Ron and Debbie
Thanks for answering. What kind of floor tile?
Regina, I had tile installed in a second floor condo. It was done by Home Depot. They installed a layer of cork under the tile. I have a friend that had the same process done. I hope this helps.
Debbie
Web Reference: http://www.RonandDebbie.net
I never knew that people used cork to insulate the floor. I only knew that fiberglass insulation is the newest way to insulate your house. I think that using cork in the walls would also be a good idea for soundproofing. However, I think that there will always be some level of noise; it is almost impossible to block out every single little thing.
http://www.biosenv.com/bios-energy-services/insulation/
Flag Tue Jan 27, 2015