Remodel & Renovate in 66217>Question Details

Gehring, Both Buyer and Seller in 66217

What is the difference between a remodel and new construction on a private home in Johnson Co, KS?

Asked by Gehring, 66217 Sat Jul 2, 2011

Answers

6
We want to build a garage apt that is detached and do some remodel to the exsting house
I think everyone is seeing your question differently...I see it as what is the difference between remodeling your current home or adding a new room to existing construction. Do you need permits???

If you just rehab your existing home you don't have to have permission. If you are building on a room addition to an existing home...or doing a tear down re build...you would need to hire someone that can pull the appropriate permits to do to meet the appropriate county/city code.

I may have assumed too much too...but being more specific with your question would be helpful.

Betty Simmons
Web Reference: http://www.BettySimmons.com
I love a remodel because I get all of the squarefootage of an older home, usually in a better location, with the conveinaces. go for it!
Are you speaking about the loan process or purchasing a home?
Red, Your question begs more questions; however, I am going to assume you have a private home and you are thinking of putting an additon on it (the new construction part of the question). I specialize in the FHA 203K program and, per the guidelines, ANY changes made to the property would be considered a remodel. Of course, a new addition would be classified new construction...but it all qualifies for renovation financing if that is what you need. The program actually allows for a complete rebulid of a tear down or destroyed fire as long as part of the original foundation is used.

I only originate in CA, but encourage you to find a local 203K specialist to discuss your options. I would never work remotely on a 203K and suggest you avoid any company/loan consulltant doing this loan from afar. The loan is not difficult, but it has a lot of moving parts...you will want someone you can communicate with effectively.
I could better help you if you could be more specific. Are you asking about home costs or something else?