Deepak, Home Buyer in 11722

What is the approximate cost (per square foot) to build a house on Long Island?

Asked by Deepak, 11722 Sat Aug 30, 2008

I have been looking to move into the Dix Hills or Commack area. Some of the properties I have looked at are in such bad condition that they need to be knocked down and rebuilt. But I am not sure what the cost will be.

Answers

4
i own a property in Dix Hills I am trying to finish it there are many advantages to you wanting to finish with me and either living there or being a partner and buying another piece of property and knocking down an old house and building up new from the foundation the buildin dept does not allow it anymore it is considered a new house and would be new taxes for a new house! I also have my property located in th school district 5
You cannot get into the Half Hollow school district without living there! My structure is built to have 35 ft ceiling 5 bedrooms and bths with 2 suites (master and junior) junior suite can be a professional office and if you are interested would be done with house by Spring/summer 09
Ler me know
Deepak, as a former Dix Hills resident, I would advise you make sure the house you're buying is really part of Dix Hills. I lived there from 1968 to 1975. After the area was first built up, it expanded into Commack and Deer Park, and many builders and buyers got very creative with the boundaries of "Dix Hills". Don't pay for the prestige of living in Dix Hills unless you really are living in Dix Hills.
Deepak,

Be aware that there is alot more that you should be looking into, other then the cost per square foot of a new build. There are hidden costs, called soft costs, that need to be calculated. As land becomes unavailable in a location, your approach is correct. This is where new construction on Long Island is for most areas. The existing home, its location and applicable "zoning" regulations will dictate the applicability of what can be erected on that lot. You will then need to calculate demolition costs including the foundation and footings, new requirements for waste water management.....etc..."Got my Point."
This is exactly what I did when I purchased my home in Bellport Village. some 25 years ago. I also had the engineering and builder background to properly calculate the soft and hard costs required.
You may want to rethink your approach, but if you really do want a new home, give me a call and I can be of help!
A decent spread for a Dix Hills home would be about $150-175/psf. If you would like to connect with some builders in the area for more specific figures, contact me at Gail@GailGladstone.com.
Web Reference: http://GailGladstone.com