Remodel & Renovate in Salem>Question Details

Sarah Garland, Home Seller in Independence, OR

What is the approximate cost and return of raising the roof and adding a second story to my single-story house?

Asked by Sarah Garland, Independence, OR Wed May 2, 2012

This is assuming the structure could endure the added weight, and there is no complications in actually raising the roof for a second story.

Answers

5
Brandon Fahlman’s answer
Garland0130,

If you'd like to get an estimate to do the build out you can contact Doug Trowbridge at Parr Lumber. He can give you the cost of materials. You'll just need to let him know the square footage of your current layout and how much you'd like to add up top. I can ask a couple contractors I work with to see what the labor would cost.

You're welcome to send me a message regarding where your property is currently located. I can give you an estimate based on sales of what your home might be worth with the new addition.
I love Trulia for the entertainment value of, not only the questions but the answers. Why are you asking real estate agents? Why not ask a contractor? Marco Gomez' answer is a hoot. How would he know what is typical for the Salem OR area? Too funny.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 13, 2012
I would be almost as much as taking the existing structure down and building another one for about $100 per square foot. The roof structure is the most expensive outside of bringing in the utilities (which are already there). Adding on is cheaper, but then the house looks a bit weird and added on to unless done properly. Engineering the change whatever you decide costs as well due to city requirement for plans, permits etc. The Market St downtown area is not a high rent neighborhood so you might only get about 50% of the return? I just bought 2 houses there for rentals, if I were wanting a bigger house, I'd find the house and buy i with my equity and credit from house #1.

My excellent realtor for last 2 years there is Chris Aldrich, REMax, 503 999-3049, is very good at looking at a house differently and seeing what it could be. (I trained him!) He also knows more about goverment reposessions than anyone in Salem and can help getting an inexpensive repossession and knows very reasonable trades people. I have bought and renovated 12 properties with hin in ayear and a half! He's best I have ever found!

Good luck on your project, Jim
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 16, 2012
It's generally about 100K to add a second story in NYC anyway. The immediate return would currently be 40-60K.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri May 4, 2012
You need a contractor to tell you that. It will not be cheap.. but then neither is adding a wing. I added a couple of bedrooms, removed the old roof, etc. and it cost me $10000. But our prices are cheaper here and that was more than 10 years ago.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed May 2, 2012