Remodel & Renovate in 94022>Question Details

Kay, Real Estate Pro in 94022

What is the Property Tax rate increase for remodel and home expansion per square foot in Los Altos?

Asked by Kay, 94022 Mon Nov 23, 2009

Answers

3
Dave Blockhus’ answer
Kay,

When I did my remodel (4 years ago), the county assessor's office asked a series of questions in order to determine the "market value" of our remodel. They computed the increase in my tax base on the "market value" of our remodel. It turned out that the increase in our tax base was almost identical to the cost of our remodeled times 1.2 percent. For example, if our remodel was 250K, the increase in tax base would be $3,000 a year.

However, please check with the County Assessor's office for the official explanation based on your job.
Hi Kay,

The link below takes you to a handout which answers your question.

David Bergman
Kay: Probably a good question to pose at the Santa Clara County Assessor's office. It can vary quite a bit, but I've found them to be really reasonable in the past...about the least expensive way to get more square footage. They base their assessment on your cost, but I don't think there is documentation involved unless it's really out of line with reality.
Lea Ann