Remodel & Renovate in Somers>Question Details

Gloria Rambao, Home Buyer in Katonah, NY

What is required to get a CO for a basement in Somers, ny?

Asked by Gloria Rambao, Katonah, NY Wed Mar 16, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Gloria,

If you call or stop in to see Efrem Citarella, the building inspector (in the building across the parking lot from the Elephant Hotel) he will gladly set up an appointment to come see your property and let you know specifically what you need. Generally, a basement needs egress (either a specific-size window to allow for emergency escape or a door to the outside). As well, the ceilings need to be a specific height. If the work has already been done, you will need an 'as built' floor plan and an electrical inspection. If there is heat or plumbing in the finished basement you will need a plumber to sign off on the work that was done. It sounds like a lot of work but it is basically some paperwork and some money. Happy to help you through the maze as well. Just give a shout if you need help!

Hope Mazzola (a Somers resident)
Licensed Associate Broker
William Raveis
(914) 714-0090
Web Reference:
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
Yes, you do need to get a c/o for a basement. You would apply in the building dept., the bldg inspector will direct you what the process is, if you are on septic you would have to also get approval from the Westchester County Board of Health.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 18, 2011
You would need contact the city of CO

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Loan Officer, Credit Repair Advisor
The Michael Group - Dallas Business Journal Top Ranked Realtors
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
Hi, the first steps are figuring out what exactly you want to do and possibly drawing up plans. In order to make it legal you will have to meet the height requirements for your town and also have a legal egress. This is a door or windo that a person can safely exit through, so it has to be a a certain size. After speaking with the building dept you will file for a permit to do the work and depending on what you do, you'll need an inspector to approve the work in order to get the CO. Electrical work requires the fire inspector to come in and approve as well.

Christopher Pagli
Licensed Associate Broker
Accredited Buyer Representative
GREEN Designated Agent
William Raveis Legends Realty Group
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
Hi Gloria,
Call the Somers Building department, better yet if you can visit the Building Department and discuss your questions with an inspector. I would also recommend a licensed contractor if you need any work to be done. They can facility the necessary paperwork with the building department if you need to bring your basement up to code.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
A very open ended question. Depends on what you want to do:
Legalize a Finished Basement?
Finish an Unfinished Basement?

Some basements can never get a C/O due to ceiling height, lack of egress, etc.

As already stated, this can only be answered by the Building Department.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
For an accurate answer check with your local building's department....
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Mar 16, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer