Remodel & Renovate in 62025>Question Details

G Hessel, Home Owner in 62025

What is recoup % for remodeling bathrooms in 62025? Have done light remodel - light fixtues, paint, countertops, but not major - still have shower/tub

Asked by G Hessel, 62025 Mon Jan 18, 2010

combos vs. soaking/jet tub with separate shower etc. Also would we recoup and would it be advisable to reduce smallest 4th bedrm to smaller office/sitting room to expand master bath?

Answers

2
Hi Ginger:

Check out the link below to access a good article on bathroom remodels. Don't miss the first link within the article, "Cost vs. Value", which will take you to a table that shows the return percentage for various home upgrades. However, be careful, these percentages are averages and may not represent what the remodeled bath will bring when your particular home sells.

Ron Rovtar
Hi, Ginger: Remodeling magazine, which is a great source for questions on what owners might expect to recoup, says that a remodeled bathroom can give back approximately 75 percent of what is spent. Here's a link to the national averages: http://www.remodeling.hw.net/2008/costvsvalue/national.aspx

I find buyers less interested in jetted tubs than they were a few years ago. It's possible that reports about bacteria collecting in jets put people off of those a bit. Soaking tubs are a big deal to most people, however. If you're able to do a separate shower, that appeals to most of the buyers I am working with.

Also, one of the most important things you can do is also one of the most cost-effective. Use an attractive, neutral paint color on the bathroom...no wallpaper.

I would advise against getting rid of Bedroom 4. More bedrooms gives you a chance at attracting a wider pool of buyers.

Don't hesitate to ask if you have additional questions about your real estate needs. I'll be happy to give my thoughts or come by to give you a price opinion on your existing home.

All the best...--Nancy