Remodel & Renovate in 55372>Question Details

kimtremain00, Home Owner in Prior Lake, MN

What is avg cost per square foot to add onto home in mn?

Asked by kimtremain00, Prior Lake, MN Sat May 12, 2012

Answers

7
Carl Heldmann’s answer
Unfortunately, the cost of building a home addition is about the same as building a small house. Smaller homes cost more per sq ft to build than larger homes, as the total cost is spread over less sq footage. It helps to have a good idea how much it will cost to build an addition before you get too far along in the process. You can find out how to do this on my article on the cost of home additions.
Carl Heldmann
I was looking into that myself and the averages are from $115.00 -$300.00 per sq ft.
There is such a difference in the quality of the homes that it creates a huge difference in the price per square foot. The choices of who the builder is, the neighborhood building covenants with roof pitch or siding requirements. Whether there are generic or custom cabinets, granite, specialty hardwood floors. At the low or beginner end the price is about $ 85 per square foot. Average is about $ 102. The high end can be anything that the buyers wanted to build for their enjoyment.
This depends on how much you want in your addition. My experience is between $85 and $145 a sq ft. Every material you select will come in a variety of grades and that is what ultimately determines the cost. If you have every visited a "new home" model you know that what you see is generally an upgrade or "in addition to" the list price. I always suggest that my buyers get at least two if not three estimates. Most contractors will do this for you. Also if you rough out what you have in mind you might think about taking the plans to Lowes or home depot to see if they can give you the interior costs. For instance, if you are adding on a bedroom and bath you can get the exterior estimate from a contractor but also check out the cost of the interior (fixtures, flooring, etc) from a Lowes or HD. I checked and there are no estmated cost scales for MN available. So you will have to do your own research. Last piece of advice. Make a list that you want the contractors to quote on. Hard costs (materials), labor, time of job, total cost and talk about a penalty if the job runs over more than 10 business days. Naturally you have to take into consideration the weather but if the exterior is competed there is no reason for workers to be anywhere but finishing your job. Good luck.
She's talking about cost to have the work done. Not value after
Hi, kimtremain00!!!
Here's a GREAT article that comes out every year to tell people what kind of a return on their investment they can expect for different remodeling projects.

http://realtormag.realtor.org/home-and-design/cost-vs-value

I think this will help you immensely!!

Good luck and let me know if you need any other advice!!
This varies from community to community; it also depends on what kind of addition you are making. Will it have a basement? Will you need additional heating? How much added electricity and plumbing work will be needed? Will you do some of the work yourself? What is the value of your home, the lot value and the median value of other homes in the area? Will the remodel price your home out of the market? Get three estimates and consider the goal and the results. You might start with a market analysis by your favorite realtor. If you don't have one, I will apply for the job! Liz 612-986-4105.