Irene Mullins, Home Buyer in 22947

What is approval process necessary to get an addition built to the back of a duplex unit in the Country Club neighborhood?

Asked by Irene Mullins, 22947 Mon Dec 13, 2010

Help the community by answering this question:


Tim Diberardino’s answer
Hello Irene, I am also a licensed contractor here in Denver and built a few additions. There is a lot of good information below. The walk-up desk can be a great resource. A knowledgeable contractor will be your greatest asset. I would contact a builder that has done some additions in the City. Have them look at the property before you close. Zoning could be a potential road block. My argument to them would revolve around the fact that the neighbors have similar additions. They will have a hard time saying no if that is the case. I have actually found the Denver Building department easy to work with.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Dec 14, 2010
Hi Irene,

I would imagine that youw ill need approval from:

The HOA - (or your neighbor if there is no HOA)
The City - building permits and zoning

My suggestions would be to first contact the HOA and see what restrictions they have then move onto the city building department.

If you let us know where your duplex is then we could help point you in the right direction. Your zipcode says 22947 and so I'm not sure if you are in Boulder, Co or another part of the country.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
I have sat in on several design review meetings and while the process may seem thorough, it preserves the unique character and values of the neighborhood. I think one thing to keep in mind is if the property really is in the Denver Country Club Historic District. So does approval for a building permit hinge on committee approval? what is th address ? I could check that for you. Country Club is a wonderful neighborhood. One can walk to Cherry Creek, bike path nearby, shops, restaurants, parks....lovely.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
In general, expanding homes with an addition in neighborhoods like Country Club in the City & County of Denver is quite easy (given the financial resources to do so). A detached single family home would be easier to work with, but a duplex unit is doable.

There will be most likely be a Party Wall agreement on file with the County Clerk (available through any Title Company) that will detail any possible limitations with an attached unit like this. Party Wall agreements are like little mini HOA"s that govern the use & rights of the property since it is attached (roofs since they are shared in attached units are common issues that arise and need documents like this to govern use, improvements, etc).

Country Club is a great central Denver neighborhood. There are other surrouding and adjacent neighborhoods to Country Club where you can get a Single Family Detached home for less $$'s. Maybe something to consider.

Feel free to contact me if you have other questions.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
Wow, thanks for all of the information. I currently live in Charlottesville Va and am considering a potential move to Denver. I have found a few houses that I like, but they are a tad small. A simple bump-out of the back wall would solve everything, but I wanted to know how complex/and or likely this solution would be before I consider them more seriously and request a showing(s). Using Street View on Google, I can see that many of the houses have additions on the back like the one I was considering. Is this a daunting process that I should avoid?
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
Forgot the link that should answer some of your questions about the process
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
The Denver Country Club? Yes, there is a design review committee that has to approve of the plans before a building permit can be issued by the city.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
RE: Dave Janis's response below, If you are referring to Country Club near Cherry Creek in the City/County of Denver, there is no HOA.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
The City & County of Denver has a Walk-Up Help Desk (located at 201 W. Colfax) that is very helpful and will answer all your questions. They will ask you for your address so they can pull up the property and associated information like zoning for the lot.…

Be prepared to have at least a rough sketch of proposed design when you go. Ultimately you will need to file for a building permit and that will provide you with a detailed list of items the city will require to issue the permit for your addition.

Any contractor in Denver will be familiar with this process. I would be glad to refer one to you if you need a reliable and well priced contractor for such work.

Good luck!!!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Dec 13, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer