Caesura, Home Buyer in Bristow, VA

What do you all think about slate tile floors in a kitchen?

Asked by Caesura, Bristow, VA Wed Apr 8, 2009

My husband and I are young, so what I've heard about pain in the feet and legs and back caused by standing on tile floors doesn't really concern us too much. Our home would resell to other young couples probably (it's only a 2 bedroom townhouse) so I don't think it'd be problem there either. I'm just wondering about slate for resale in terms of looks and it desirable? Is it just ok? Do you think we'd at least break even? We really like it, but I don't want to do something that would lower the value of our house. Thoughts?

Tile & Hardwoods never lower the value of a home.. unless poorly maintained. Slate is different than ceramic or porcelain in that the thickness can be different from tile to tile. Slate is most beautiful if left in random color. It will typically be a dark floor, so considering you have a townhouse you’ll need to look at the overall picture. A dark floor in a small kitchen with little sunlight will make the room seem smaller than it really is. Things to research would be quartzite or buff slate for a lighter color tone. If you do go with Slate, you might consider a pattern like brickwork. The tiles themselves are not all equal, and 12”x12” is nominal. Also, like Dorene said Slate can shale if heavy items are dropped on it, and makes for a larger chip than say porcelain would.
FYIs on DIY: Slate will require a concrete backerboard over the wood substrate, You'll also need to seal the tiles before installation & after, and allow 24 hours to cure before walking on.
Excellent idea go with slate tile, it is durable, looks good and will stand the high traffic.
Web Reference:
If you can afford it, (its expensive) then DO IT! Its a great upgrade to a laminate floor in the kitchen!
Most buyers love slate floors, you don't have to worry about that part of it. They do require maintainence, and they do chip if heavy pots are dropped on them . This is true of all tile floors though. Anything you do to improve the property especially in the Kitchen and Bathrooms does pay off in terms of resale value.
It s gorgeous! Go for it.
Slate is a good hard surface for floors. It will endure and can be sealed to protect from messy spills. It will be cool to the feet so don't use it if you live in cold winter region unless you install radiant underfloor heating below it. Sarah Robinson,realtor/interior designer, MI