phil, Home Buyer in 60622

What are the city of Chicago requirements to turn an attic into a legal studio apartment on an r-3 property that has two apartments already?

Asked by phil, 60622 Fri Feb 12, 2010

two flat, two apartments two meters.

Help the community by answering this question:


Accurate Inspections & Consulting’s answer
You will need to meet various Code and Zoning requirements. This info can be obtained from the City and County.
On the construction side
- two egress regardless of sqft due to height above grade
- Joist size will likely be your biggest cost factor. Older homes here typically have 2x6 or 2x8 attic floor joists. In a typical Chicago house these do NOT meet load requirements due to span. New 2x10,12 joists will be needed
- all light, vent, electrical, plumbing and heating requirements will need to be met for a legal unit
- Another significant factor to consider is how much actual floor space will remain after you meet kneewall height requirements. This tends to take away a lot of space.
You may want to consider hiring an inspector or architect to provide a feasibility report.
Good luck
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 16, 2010
I would engage the services of a local architect to do a feasibility study. If the architect believes it will be allowed, you'll need to present drawings to get the permit anyway. This process will involve both the Department of Buildings and Zoning.

A few things that may come up:

1. Two methods of entry and egress.
2. Parking restrictions
3. Floor Area Ratio Requirements
4. Mechanical Systems Upgrade
5. Attic Floor Structure.

Best of Luck

Wayne Beals
Keller Williams CCG
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Feb 12, 2010
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer