Remodel & Renovate in 08003>Question Details

masinogirls4, Home Owner in Cherry Hill, NJ

What adds more home value?

Asked by masinogirls4, Cherry Hill, NJ Thu Jun 14, 2012

I have 6 bedrooms and 4 full bathrooms. Thinking of getting rid of bedroom w/bathroom to make one large master bath. Is it worth losing the extra bedroom as far as home value?

Answers

8
The information you have furnished is insufficiently robust for anyone to answer your question honestly and validly. You need to factor in many considerations when contemplating this kind of an issue, and the specifics of your life situation will render some factors critical, others relevant, and still others irrelevant or nearly so. In other words, one size does not fit all.

I urge you to consult with a real estate professional who has the expertise and knowledge to help you understand the decision calculus, to guide you in reaching a decision, and then (if appropriate)to help you implement your decision with minimized risk and a high level of effectiveness. So the most useful question you should be asking yourself is this: "How do I identify an agent with the knowledge and skills (and integrity) necessary to help me understand the issues, come to a decision that truly makes sense for me and my family, and then help me to act effectively on that decision?"

Jonathan E. Brill, Ph.D.
Realtor Associate
Beowulf Plaza, Suite 200
1814 Route 70 East
Cherry Hill, New Jersey 08003

GET THE RESULTS YOU DESERVE.
Put my Ph.D. in Marketing and Wharton School
business education to work for you!

Main Office: 856.321.1212
Office Fax: 856.321.1414
Direct Line: 856.685.1956
Cell: 617.872.5580
e-Fax: 775.898.2651

e-Mail: DoctorJ@KW.com
Websites:
http://DoctorJ.KWrealty.com
http://www.SouthJerseyRealtor.net
http://DoctorJ.myKWagent.com
Depending on which way you decide to go, I would recommend that you consider some professional photography for your listing when you decide you are ready to place your home on the market. The bottom line is that you want to show off the home's strengths. You need it to stand out... especially now.

You might find that by investing a small amount in professional photography, you would get a tremendous return. Statistics clearly show that homes with better photography spend less time on the market, and sell for a higher percentage of the listing price. Redfin Corp. cites that great photos can add between $934 and $116,076 to a listing.

Just DON'T be one of the guys like the ones in my link below!! Best of luck! :-)
The number of six bedroom buyers is minimal.....you are likely on safe ground by visiting an enlarged and improved master suite plan. Most buyers would view this size home as excessive for their needs.

1. make sure you have one level of your home with three bedrooms and one or two bathrooms all on one level. Many times, this will make a big difference when selling or refinancing.

2. It sounds like you have a large home. Larger homes have more flexibility when changing the floor plan.

3. If the remodel will be significant money, have an appraiser or Realtor find the value of your home "as is" and find the value with the new floor plan. It may not make a significant difference, but at least you'll know.

4. watch out for creating functional issues with your home (i.e. no bathrooms on one level, etc).

5. And remember, most improvement, while they may add value, the net result is a lose in money spent for the improvements.
yes, I do have 2 bedrooms on the first floor plus 2 bathrooms also on first floor. Both bedrooms have access to both bathrooms. 4 bedrooms and 2bathrooms on second floor.
Flag Fri Jun 15, 2012
Hi Masinogirls4!
Converting your house to a 5 bedroom, 3 bath - with a great master suite - will likely add value. Of course this is predicated on a lot of other variables with your house. Most shoppers in Cherry Hill are looking for a 4-5 bedroom home. If the square footage of your house allows, an in-law suite may add a lot to the property. Call me, I'd be happy to chat.

Robert Greenblatt
Keller Williams Realty, Cherry Hill
856-575-1818
In Cherry Hill (where I also live) a 6 bedroom home is highly unusual. There are not many Buyers in need of that many bedrooms. If all your bedrooms are small, then expanding the master into a suite would be beneficial. Having 4 full bathrooms is not necessarily a benefit either.
My suggestion is to call in a professional stager to determine best use of your space. There are a few I could recommend if you'd like to contact me.
depends upon market place, in my area I would think loss of 6th bed outweighed by luxury master suite.
If you were going from 4 bedrooms to 3 bedrooms I would tell you that the value would drop. But in going from 6-5, and adding a large master suite I would say you were increasing the value. keep in mind this all depends on how you lay out that Master Suite and what finishes and fixtures you install.