Remodel & Renovate in 20136>Question Details

Sarah, Other/Just Looking in Bristow, VA

We want to upgrade our kitchen, but not sure if it's going to be a good investment...

Asked by Sarah, Bristow, VA Sun Jul 26, 2009

We have a 2 bedroom, 2.5 bath end-unit townhouse in Bristow, and the kitchen is builder-grade from 2003. The cabitnets are light oak, the floor is vinyl, and the countertops are laminate. We already got new stainless steel appliances, and would ultimately like to get granite countertops, slate flooring, and have the cabinets refaced to something a bit richer in color (darker, but not too dark...the kitchen is on the small side). We will be living here for at least 5 years. Do you think those upgrades would be over-improving for this area and market? I think total we would put between $6000 and $9000 into the kitchen.

Answers

7
Having worked as a Kitchen Designer and Cabinet Salesman for years;
I can unequivocally recommend not refinishing the cabinets!

To begin with, Oak is so trite and out-of-date, but using the old cabinets is like painting an old car and calling NEW.

If you're doing it for the resale; they will notice.

Forget it!
This is 4 years old!!!!!
Updating a kitchen is never an over improvement. As you probably hear all of the time, the kitchen is the best improvement for return on your investment. Just keep the colors rather neutral since you do plan to sell eventually.
Updating your kitchen is a great idea, we spent lots of time in the kitchen, make it look beautiful.
In the future it will help sell the house faster. It is worth it.

Freddy Solis
703-934-7844
http://www.freddysolis.com
Hi again Sarah

So tell us..............you asked this question back in July - did you decide to go ahead with the kitchen remodel project?
Hi Sarah:

How are you doing?

I agree with Debbie.

$6,000 to $9,000 to put into a "new and improved" kitchen is probably a good investment, especially since the average sold price here in Prince William County has gone up 13.59% over this time last year. Some of that was inflated because of the tax credit. But put it in perspective, the average sold price in October increased 6.81%, Septmeber 8.15%, and August 2.47%.

Here in Prince William, we have zoomed past the average sold price in August 2002, ($222,129), and are closing in on the average sold price for that same time in 2003 (268,942) . In Ausust this year, the average sold price was $257,605, and we ended up in November at $251,615.

Expect to see a normal "seasonal" slowdown in prices over the Winter, while prices will continue to rise at a modest rate throughout the Spring and Summer of 2010, then leveling off in the Winter, before rising again with the seasonal trends.

Having an end-unit is Bristow is a great sell, but a lot of home buyer's look for 3 bedrooms, so don't overimprove!

Once homeowner's start a project, sometimes they can't stop. Only watch This Old House every other week, and the more you can do with cash the better.

Hope this helps,

Johnny "Culdesac" Yankoviak
Weichert Realtors
Gainesville, VA
HI Sarah
Buyers love updated kitchens, and they are an important selling feature. Now, I don't know how much your condo is worth, so it's hard for me to say if you are "over improving" it for your market. I am sure there will be a few agents from your ares who will respond.

The amount you are thinking of spending doesn't seem like a huge investment for an updated kitchen, and I'd be surprised if you didnt see a nice return on that down the road The other benefit, of course, is that you get to enjoy this new kitchen for the next several years until you decide to move. It doesn't sound like you are going overbaodr with what you are doing. You already have the appliances - I'd say go for it!

Best wishes.....
Debbie Rose
Prudential NJ Properties
You might want to talk to an agent in your area.
Have any of the other town homes in the complex had their kitchens remodeled ?