fahmida.miah, Home Owner in 11001

We want to build a 2nd fl bathroom in a cape home with sloped ceilings in floral park, queens, ny. What are the space & code requirements?

Asked by fahmida.miah, 11001 Tue Sep 4, 2012

We have a large closet on the second floor of our cape style home in Floral Park, Queens, NYC. It has sloped ceilings. The floor area is 5 ft by 6 ft and the ceiling height at the unsloped area is 86". At the lowest point of the slope its 4 ft high. We would like to build a 3 pc bathroom with a 30 x 60 stand up shower, toilet and small sink. We have room to expand the space to 6ft by 6ft. And if we absolutely need to, we can go 7ft by 6ft. Is there anyone who can tell me if the bathroom can be legalized or is this space insufficient? I've been reading a lot of NYC building codes but it gets confusing. I read that the ceiling height must be 7 feet for bathrooms but what about the sloped portion? And is the floor area ok? The house is classified at A2-1 family dwelling. The two bedrooms on the second floor also have 86" ceiling heights but the two bedrooms downstairs are a standard 8 ft. I'm wondering if the ceiling height is going to be an issue for permits and legalization.

Help the community by answering this question:


Victoria Poptean’s answer
If you're doing the project yourself, contact the Building Department at 516-326-6319 with any questions you have.
In case you're hiring a contractor to do the job then the contractor can answer your questions and will also take care of all buildings permits you will need.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012
Well something like this we would not be able to do ourselves since we need plans drafted by an architect or a P.E. Contractors don't always have architects or P.E....they usually come into the picture after the plans are approved. I guess what I need to do is find an architect or P.E. first. I was just hoping someone here could tell me if they had a similar experience and was able to get a bathroom done legally. I'm worried a P.E. will come in and simply say it just can't be done. Is the number you provided for the Queens building department?

Thanks for your help.
Flag Tue Sep 4, 2012
For any ncessary clarifications, and for accurate answers, directly contact the buildings department.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 4, 2012
Easier said than done. I've tried contacting them, my calls get transferred or no one picks up. If you have a number or email address where I could actually get some answers please do share. Thank you.
Flag Tue Sep 4, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer