Dennis, Both Buyer and Seller in Portland, OR

We're making a window larger (egress) to make a "bonus" room into a legal bedroom. Do we need a permit? The construction is fairly

Asked by Dennis, Portland, OR Mon Feb 21, 2011


Help the community by answering this question:


It is NEVER a mistake to ask the Planning Dept. for a permit. Believe me if you don't need one, they will be the first to tell you.

It lets your listing agent answer the question that's CERTAIN to come, "Was the remodel done with permits?" with "YES". That's much more to your advantage than "I don't know", or "Nope".
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Mar 13, 2011
YES, you need a permit. Check out this link:

Says that you do need a permit becuase you are changing the size of the opening. Call the city to confirm but that is how I read it.

Good luck with the remodel!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 22, 2011
You are better off to go to planning or safety which ever it is that isues those permits and ask. Better to know ahead of time then to get a fine for not doing what you need. That way when/if you decide to sell later you wont be in trouble for not doing what is necessary.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
Get one to be on the safe side. We are having trouble closing loans if the appraiser says the home has been modified, the underwriter wants to see a copy of the permit. You may not be planning on selling anytime soon, but take the safe road.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
Hi Dennis, click the first link for the requirements to replace a window in Portland.

If your home was built before 1978, then you will want to check out the next link to go over some of the new rules and regulations regarding lead based paint requirements when renovating your home.

I hope this helps! Feel free to contact me with any questions.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
Please call your local jurisdiction to double check, however you need to get the required permits to be able to do this work even though it is a minor renovation.

Good Luck
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
Depends on the jurisdiction but COP yes - if you are enlarging ( or reducing believe it or not! ) the size of an opening then you need a permit. Just as important is installing and flashing the window properly when you repair the siding.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 21, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer