Cindy Minuti, Home Buyer in Saint Petersburg, FL

We own a small Cape Cod and would like to add a bathroom. Has anyone added one upstairs between the two bedrooms? If so, approx. what was the cost?

Asked by Cindy Minuti, Saint Petersburg, FL Wed Apr 17, 2013

Answers

5
Hi Cindy

many Capes have added the bathroom at the top of the steps. Sometimes you will need to add a dormer. typical cost is $20-$30k or more depending who is doing the work.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Apr 19, 2013
Thanks for the advice...I really appreciate it!
Hi Cindy. My colleague Elisa below gave a perfect answer. I too see a bathroom at the top of the stairs. Sometimes with just a stall shower, but you can still make it nice with real tile.

Depending on where you live, let us know of you need the names of a few contractors. Even in Saint Pete's --- I know a great Realtor there!

Good luck to you!

Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
856.617.1212
axelson@kurfiss.com
Web Reference: http://SellingPhilly.com
I've seen many Cape Cods that have added a bathroom between the two rooms. If you do not have a dormer, however, it will be a bit awkward to stand up. Costs include hiring a plumber (make sure they obtain a permit from the municipality), fixtures (sink, shower,toilet), finishing the walls, tiling the shower and floor lighting. If you only have one bathroom now, adding another bath will add value to your home.
That depends on how big, the Bathroom is plus your choice of fixtures, hardware, tile etc. Normally in my area the plumbing is extended from the full Bathroom below so it is a common addition.